News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gandy Dancer not dancing correctly

Started by Sunshine Express, September 17, 2011, 05:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

My old Gandy Dancer is running erratically,stops,starts,goes for a short burst and stops.
It is a a few years old,but has had little use. Gave it a bit of oil underneath,and a shot of RP7(WD40). I like to run it for the newcomers,and it gets a good audience,may grandchildren look forward  to it coming out now and then.The little workers move well,but no forward motion at times. Any suggestions ?
Owen C Robinson

jonathan

Owen,

I couldn't get mine running well for the longest time it seemed.

Finally, I overlubed it... I mean "you must be crazy" overlubed it.  I used conductalube.  The oil went on top, underneath--I even lubed the crew.  This released some kind of black stuff from the inside.  After wiping it down, I put it back on the track and it ran like a scalded dog.  Ran it for about an hour.  Now it seems to run well every time I put it on the track, which isn't often.

Results may vary, but that's how I got mine rolling.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Don't ever use WD40 for model railroading.
Conductalube lube is what will help. Clean out the WD40 first.
A lot of lub is not necessary. Lubrication operates with a film. More is usually not needed.

Rich

Sunshine Express

Thanks Jonathan and Rich G,I will have to get hold of that conductable lube.Do hobby shops stock it,or is it an electronic store item ?.    Owen
Owen C Robinson

RAM

WD40 is not an oil.  WD-40 Lubricates, Cleans, Protects, Penetrates & Displaces Moisture

Doneldon

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on September 18, 2011, 10:18:57 PM
And WD40 attacks plastic.

It sure does.

As for WD40, it's not a lubricant. It's a water displacer and solvent.

WD40 has caused problems for many model railroaders.

Rich

Sunshine Express

Trouble with Gandy Dancer found. All owners take note.--
The stop start operation which seemed like something binding in the mechanism,was finally rectified. Took it to my train club,and it went great running on the 2 driving wheels,with the other 2 off the track.This proved something was stopping the other 2 from turning.
Very small pieces of hair like fibre had wrapped around the unpowered wheels,but so small,hardly visible to the eye.
Fine tweezers,and tiny screwdriver removed it,the total amount about 3/16".
It runs as new again,glad I did not have to pull it apart.
Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson

WoundedBear

I see all these warnings regarding the use of WD40, and wonder how much experience you guys have using it, or if this wisdom is all hearsay. Personally, I have never had it attack plastic.

This is from WD40's FAQ section.

"What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40."

Note it says clear polystyrene. It will haze clear parts, but I've never seen it melt plastic gears or anything. I emailed them regarding the painted surfaces, and they said that plastic is usually unpainted, but if their product won't hurt painted metal, it is alright on painted plastic as well.

The biggest problem with WD40 is that most people try to use it right out of the can. Don't. Dispense a little into a small bottle cap and apply it drop by drop with a toothpick or a microbrush.

If you use a little on a cotton swab, you will find that WD40 is an excellent wheel/contact cleaner as well. For steamers, a drop on the valve mechanism will keep it silky smooth for months. I like the fact that WD40 doesn't attract dust like some other lubes can. My most common use of WD40 is to lube the valving and drivelines of my Shays and Climaxes.

And as far as it not being a lubricant, here is another quote from WD40's site.....

"4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts."

Just remember, like any lubricant, a little goes a long ways. I could ramble on longer about this, but I think you get the idea.

Sid