News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new to DCC

Started by glv1952, October 03, 2011, 02:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glv1952

HI,
getting ready to start with DCC with my grandson; trying to decide on 501, 502 or 503 set; seems the only difference between 502 and 503 is Diesel vs Steam is that correct?

Doneldon

glv-

I don't see the 502 set in the current listing on this website; however, it is almost certainly still available at resellers like hobby shops, toy stores and on line. Check Amazon and ebay.

The 501 set has considerably more to offer than does the 503. The 503 has only one DCC Diesel loco, two freight cars, a caboose, a loop of track and the EZCommand system. The 501 adds another DCC loco, a turnout, an uncoupling magnet and a bumper for the end of a siding.
The list price is only $6 higher so it's kind of a no brainer to go with the larger set, especially if you are interested in DCC. If you only plan to run one loco or train at a time there really isn't any reason to get DCC.

Whatever you do, don't pay anything like list price. These items are available all over for heavily discounted prices. You might want to check on line hobby shops. A particularly good one which does business on ebay is My Favorite Spot.

Good luck with your search and welcome to model railroading. I can confidently predict that you and your grandson will have a great time.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

Jerrys HO

I believe the 502 set is like the diesel digital commander just with the UP 0-6-0. All the sets are nice to start with and easy to learn the basics of DCC. When I started back I bought the 503 and the 501. I added the 0-6-0 later by itself. All rolling stock comes with metal wheels and knuckle couplers.

Like Doneldon said The Favorite Spot has excellent pricing. All three mentioned I purchased through them.

Jerry