News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

old time people figures

Started by botangles, September 29, 2011, 07:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

botangles

Trying to find old time turn of the century people figures (about 1900) standing and sitting. They would go great in Bachmann passenger cars, cabooses, train stations etc. I see pictures of them everywhere on websites, but after a search of where to buy them, I come up empty. Could someone give me a lead where to get them? Thanks, Bill W.

ThinkerT

Try EBAY - and pay very close attention to the size of the figures.

Unless you mutilate either the figure or the seat, sitting Bachmann figures will not fit in the seats in the 'Big Hauler' passenger cars. I mucked around with this quite a bit before digging up 1/29 figures from USA and others from the model car crowd.

mudhen

Check out "Just Plain Old Country Folks". Lots there, that's where I got my engineer Bob and fireman Fred for my K-27 from. But they are fragile and lot of them to choose from.

the Bach-man

MAELLIS

Preiser used to produce some old time figures in 1:22,5. I found some for sale in a web shop just now so they may still be available.

Some years ago I bought some seated ones for a friend to put into two Bachman WP&Y coaches. I found that their legs were a bit too long, so I either had to make cushions or saw their legs off ! :( I decided that as they were much too nice to cut up to I had to find another solution. What I ended up doing was drilling a hole in the floor of the seat unit in the coach for the legs to go through. (Not the floor of the coach) This gave me enough room to sit them down firmly on the seats with some thick double sided tape. They look great. I used to of the standing ones in the end of the observation car as well.

Loco Bill Canelos

I have used Lemax figures from the Michaels chain and similar figures from other chains.  They are mostley Christmas themed.    I use a dremel to remove the "snow" or other christmas , or winter accessories and remove the base or paint the base green or some other earth color.

My train platform looks great with them waiting for the train and I get a lot of raves even tho the scale is not perfect. I am using them with 1:22.5 scale stuff, but they look even better with 1:29.   my earliest period is 1905, by these will definitely be at home in 1880 timeframes.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

botangles

Received a lot of good leads from this board. The main issue was finding seated figures for Bachmann passenger cars for that era ( 1900 to 1930 ) that fit in the seats. ThinkerT was right 1:29 do fit in the seats, but hard to find. Then Bill suggested Lemax figures, they are the right size 1:29 have that turn of the century look. Most of the seated figures come molded to a bench and base so have to cut them off. Tried cutting 2 off so far, the back of the figure is a bit mutilated but that's the part that goes to the seat anyway. They seem to fit in the seats real nice and look good. So again thanks for all your great help, you guys really know your stuff on this board. Bill W.

Loco Bill Canelos

Glad it is working out. I forgot to mention that it is also possible to use standing figures and cut off the legs and glue them to the seats where the missing legs will not be noticeable.   Another idea is to use a standing figure and drape a "blanket" over the part with the missing legs.

Have fun!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!