News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Bang Theory

Started by WTierce1, September 29, 2011, 08:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I thought the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory was hilarious! My wife spent just about the entire show pointing at me. One benefit of involving model railroading is that of increased exposure from the show. The scene where Sheldon put an N-scale locomotive(?) in his mouth was great...I know several people in Washington, D.C. who could do the same thing with G-scale. [Behave Ray].

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BestSnowman

Quote from: CNE Runner on October 01, 2011, 11:01:11 AM
I thought the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory was hilarious! My wife spent just about the entire show pointing at me. One benefit of involving model railroading is that of increased exposure from the show. The scene where Sheldon put an N-scale locomotive(?) in his mouth was great...I know several people in Washington, D.C. who could do the same thing with G-scale. [Behave Ray].

Ray

My wife was the same :) Being the physicist I almosted expected him to go way beyond N-scale in to microscopic trains
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Michigan Railfan

I just watched the episode. I found it pretty entertaining (like all other episodes of the show). The train jokes were a little harsh, but I still found them pretty entertaining. The N scale part was funny. I had never known the exact size of them until Sheldon put one in his mouth... Also, if I'm not mistaken, there were train jokes in Two and a Half Men, when Herb had an HO scale layout, and he was as well dressed in a engineers uniform. Charlie and Alan, if I remember correctly, made fun of him for it.

WTierce1

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on October 01, 2011, 06:13:52 PM
Also, if I'm not mistaken, there were train jokes in Two and a Half Men, when Herb had an HO scale layout, and he was as well dressed in a engineers uniform. Charlie and Alan, if I remember correctly, made fun of him for it.

That's not a suprise.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

ScottyB

Also, if I'm not mistaken, there were train jokes in Two and a Half Men, when Herb had an HO scale layout, and he was as well dressed in a engineers uniform. Charlie and Alan, if I remember correctly, made fun of him for it.

Same producer for both shows (Chuck Lorre).  I wonder if he is a closet train nut?
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

WTierce1

Quote from: ScottyB on October 02, 2011, 02:12:32 PM

Same producer for both shows (Chuck Lorre).  I wonder if he is a closet train nut?

LOL
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

NarrowMinded

rogertra,
QuoteNot impressed with that either.  Too Disneyesque for my tastes.

Really? give me a break...  ???

Please post some pictures of your layout so I can criticize it, so as to give myself a sense of superiority in my own mind. ::)

NM-Jeff

rogertra

Quote from: NarrowMinded on October 02, 2011, 02:51:52 PM
rogertra,
QuoteNot impressed with that either.  Too Disneyesque for my tastes.

Really? give me a break...  ???

Please post some pictures of your layout so I can criticize it, so as to give myself a sense of superiority in my own mind. ::)

NM-Jeff

Nobody was being superior.  It's all a matter of taste. I'm just not into the Disneyesque look favoured by the Allen's G&D, Sellios and his F&SM and anything by Malcolm Furlow, et al.  That doesn't make me superior.  It just means I don't like what to me is an unrealistic and Disney look

As for posting photos of my work, I've done that numerous times on this forum and, if you were paying attention, you'd see links in my sig.  I welcome constructive criticism as it keeps me on my toes.  So feel free to nit pick away.

Ken G Price

Roger, You have a really nice layout and I see that you like the rural, country look.
Though mine is a much more modern era that is the look I am working towards.

Some modelers like the big city look and some don't. The hobby gives a lot of leeway in taste. :)
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

rogertra

Quote from: Ken G Price on October 03, 2011, 05:26:56 PM
Roger, You have a really nice layout and I see that you like the rural, country look.
Though mine is a much more modern era that is the look I am working towards.

Some modelers like the big city look and some don't. The hobby gives a lot of leeway in taste. :)

Thanks Ken.  Most appreciated.  However, you used the wrong tense.  It should be "You had a really..."  The GER in the photos was scrapped around March/April 2010.  However, I'm slowly working on the new basement room that is being finished for the new GER and hopefully construction of the new railway will start very shortly.  Just need the electrician to connect the circuits to the breaker panel and then finish the drywall on one ten foot wall.

I agree, there's a lot of leeway in this hobby and there's no "right" way of enjoying it.  From tail chaser on a plain piece of plywood to the most detailed and accurate reproduction of an actual location possible, all are "right" if the owner gets full enjoyment from whatever they've created.

NarrowMinded

its your choice of words that lead to my comment, big city scenes are not my thing either, but to not be "impressed"with that layout is another thing.

Nm-jeff

rogertra

Quote from: NarrowMinded on October 03, 2011, 06:07:47 PM
its your choice of words that lead to my comment, big city scenes are not my thing either, but to not be "impressed"with that layout is another thing.

Nm-jeff

Why should I be impressed?  To me, Rod's model railway it looks like a Disney set.  After all, his admitted major infuence was Sellios and his F&SM.  While the actual modelling may be good, impressive evean, as was Allen's G&D, Sellios and his F&SM and anything by Malcolm Furlow.  All very good modeling showing great skill.  I don't take that away from them but over all realistism?  Nope.  And just because it's large, like some of these pay per view layouts, doesn't impress me either.  Realism impresses me, no matter the size of the model railway.

NarrowMinded

First I don't care at this point if you are impressed. You seem to have some strange hate for Disney.

The reason I mentioned Rods Layout is because to any reasonable person, (Especially Non-modellers) it is Impressive and I mention it to them to throw a wrench into their stereo typing minds.

At first glance and even second and third glance Most people do not believe His layout is in fact a layout, unlike a lot of run of the mill diorama looking layouts which use the sprinkle and pray detailing technique used by school children and could never be mistaken for real.

NM-Jeff

rogertra

Quote from: NarrowMinded on October 04, 2011, 10:09:28 PM
First I don't care at this point if you are impressed. You seem to have some strange hate for Disney.

NM-Jeff

At what point did I say I didn't like Disney?  Disney is one of the best at what they do.  Seems that you missed the point, again.

I was comparing the model work of Rod and the others to Disney and saying that their modelling style is like a Disney set.  Not realistic!

Like those massive Pay Per View layouts that you see around the world.  Large, trains running everywhere but not realsistic.

How much simplier must I write this?

Bucksco