Train Engineer/Railroad Worker Requirements

Started by Michigan Railfan, October 04, 2011, 10:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

Becoming a train engineer, or at least work for a railroad company (specifically NS, CSX, CN, or Amtrak) is a job I am highly considering for a full-time career. I've chosen the 4 railroads listed, as they are all local. I've googled requirements, and have found you must be 21 years of age to OPERATE a train. Can anyone tell me if this is true, or if it differs between companies? And also, are there any railroad job opportunities that someone can do at age 18? And also, if anyone here does or has worked for any railroad companies, which railroad would you think treats their employees the best? I've hears Amtrak and CSX don't treat them well. I don't know how, so that's why im asking  :)

Any input is appreciated.

ACY

Requirements for a railroad employee:
    a high school diploma or GED;
    be at least 21 years old;
    complete a formal training program; and
    pass a written and hands-on exam.
-According to several websites...

RAM

Get as much education as you can, Have a 2nd,  and 3rd choice.  Getting hired does not mean that you are going to work 40 hours a week.     You may work 4 weeks and be off for 6 months.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Doneldon

Blink-

This board isn't at all likely to help you obtain employment with a railroad or anywhere else. If you're sincere in wanting a job at a railroad the best place to start is at the employment office of your nearest railroad. And then the second closest, and so on. You might also want to check with your state employment office. But as much as we might want to help you here, we cannot. So go for it with the people who can help you.
                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Doneldon on October 05, 2011, 10:59:33 PM
Blink-

This board isn't at all likely to help you obtain employment with a railroad or anywhere else. If you're sincere in wanting a job at a railroad the best place to start is at the employment office of your nearest railroad. And then the second closest, and so on. You might also want to check with your state employment office. But as much as we might want to help you here, we cannot. So go for it with the people who can help you.
                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

I wasn't trying to get a job through here. I just wanted to clear up some questions I had on the requirements. And also get some input on others' opinions (if they have any) on the best railroad companies to work for  ;)

JerryB

Blink_182_Fan:

First, you need to really understand the life of a railroader. It isn't just sitting in a powerful locomotive and tooting the horn at crossings! Find and talk to some current railroaders, both experienced and new hires to get an idea if this is the career for you. Although there are some railroaders on this and other internet boards, you need to try to make personal contacts.

Next, you need to widen your job search / employer consideration. I assume your list of four railroads is driven by being a fan of those railroads. Limiting your interest to those four will not result in the best outcome where career choice is the basic issue. Consider that you will probably need to search for and accept employment at any railroad that is hiring apprentices. After you get some experience, you can seek employment at one of your first choices, or you might find that they aren't really the best employers.

As to the age 21 requirement, you should seriously consider getting into a junior college program while you are waiting to meet the age requirement. While you are to be applauded for graduating from HS, success in the real world requires increasing amounts of education. Whether you choose vocational classes or other areas such as mathematics , english, writing, etc. you are making yourself more valuable to a potential employer. Just demonstrating that you can start and finish an advanced education program is a big plus, and will help set you apart from job applicants that only have a HS education.

Assuming you will need to work after HS graduation, most junior colleges are set up to provide classes for part time students that are supporting themselves. And, even working at a menial job will further show a future employer that you have experience and are reliable.

When you are a new employee with zero experience, the best railroad (or any other employer) to work for is the one that will hire you!

Hope some of the above helps, and good luck to you!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

ebtnut

Another avenue of approach is to look and see if Sperry Rail Service is hiring (they usually are).  They do inspections of rail defects all around the country using a small fleet of gas-electric rail cars.  There is usually a crew of about 4.  For a young, single man it would be good experience, in that you would get to see a lot of different railroads.  However, the hours can be long, long times away from home, and you often wind up parked for the night on a siding in or near nowhere. 

mf5117

At an early age of 32 . I was in a program and my sponsor worked for the Great Northwestern out of Kansas City  . A 100 mile route that went to Mexico Missouri .And back .He got me an interview for being a breakman .24 on 24 off and on call if needed . if I would have made the interview that he got set up for me I would have been working for them as of now and probley would have been a conductor now . But I missed the interview due to I was working out of town for a mechanical maintenance company . I missed my chance . He had told me when they would be interviewing again . I finally got in for an interview . Got called back 4 times and on the last interview ,he told me, son there are 20,000 railroad workers out of work and if you would have made the1st interview that was scheduled he would have been able to bring me aboard . So my loss someone else's gain. So listen to the elders and do what they say .

Michigan Railfan

Thanks for all the info guys.
JerryB: I understand the life of a railroader. Long and sporadic hours, and long periods of time away from home. I'm willing to do that. Both of my uncles were railroaders at some point in their lives. One working for Ford driving an SW1200 (not gone for long periods of time) and my other worked for Conrail (may have just worked in a yard... I'll have to ask him). The only reason I chose the four railroads listed is that they are all around my area (Metro-Detroit). You see BNSF, but rarely, and id like to stay here if I possibly could. I did read Detroit was getting a commuter line... So if that happens that's another opportunity. I'm still considering College, but unless I absolutely have to, I plan on not going. And it would be nice to just find a railroad-related job once I get out of high school, so I would apply for engineer once I reach 21.

Thanks again for all the info.

ACY

As far as I know you cannot get one in any position until you are 21. That is what I read all over the place. You would have to wait until you turn 21 before getting any job in the field. I think the age requirement may also be due to insurance related concerns and things along those lines. You'll have to find something else to do in the interim for 3 years before you get a railroad related job.
I just looked up a bunch of jobs with various railroads, all the ones that did not say you had to be 21 years old stated you needed several years previous experience to apply, so it appears that most if not all jobs require you to be 21 in this day and age. Many of the jobs require a CDL or that you have are certified to operate equipment like forklifts which both require you to be 21 or older.

jward

to add to what acy just said about doing something else until age 21.....

have you considered working in another segment of the transportation industry until you come of age? obtaining a cdl and working as a commercial driver will really help you. it proves to the railroad that you can pass a drug screen, can operate heavy equipment safely, and can pay attention to detail such as manifest sheets. all of these are things that you'd have to do as a conductor before you ever get to run a locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Michigan Railfan

Hmm. That's interesting that you can't get a job in the field until 21. Guess I'll have to find a job in the mean time. Although maybe college too... Just gotta find a job first  :P

jettrainfan

i have a similar question but its for being a motorman for a public transportation system (Cleveland RTA rapid trains) and was wondering if volunteering for a local scenic railroad would count as experience?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: jettrainfan on October 06, 2011, 11:42:10 PM
i have a similar question but its for being a motorman for a public transportation system (Cleveland RTA rapid trains) and was wondering if volunteering for a local scenic railroad would count as experience?

It should. Definitly wouldn't hurt to put it on your resume  ;)

glennk28

get a copy of the General Code of Operating Rules (Regulations?)  and study it.  Watch the newspaper classifieds.  A course at a place like Modoc Rail Academy might help.

Be willing to relocate.
gj