News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Caboose Project

Started by jonathan, October 09, 2011, 01:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

DOH!  Wish I would have thought of that BEFORE I painted and attached the smokejack.  Oh well, a good tip for next time.

Thanks.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Getting close; about 80% done.  Did some more painting and added weight:

OK, still needs window glazing, lift chains, air hoses, and ladder extensions. Should be done by Tuesday I think.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

jonathan you truly are an artist with the paint job. The detail work is awesome! The stack pipe does not look off comparing it to the prototype.
What did you use for the weight,looks like a briteboy glued to the top.
Jerry

Doneldon

jonathan-

Another really impressive paint and decal job. I do wonder if having that weight up high (it looks like it's right below the cupola) is such a good idea.

Quote from: jerryl on October 13, 2011, 07:25:09 PM
May want to replace the horizontal pipe on top of the stack with thinwall tubing, much more realistic....otherwise, great Job!

How brave and steady of hand are you? Drill out the smoke jack in situ and repaint it with a brush.
                                                                                                                                                     -- D

jonathan

Thanks, Gents.

The weight is actually attached to the floor with industrial epoxy.  Photo must be an optical illusion. I pulled a fuel tank off one of my grandfather's old locos (60s or 70s), and the tank was full of these heavy plates.  I have four left to weight other cars as needed.

The bar above the weight is an aluminum tube, used to spread out the walls about 1mm.  The walls were just a bit warped.  It made a good handle while detailing the body.

Regards,

Jonathan

Closer, still:

jonathan

jonathan

OK, I think we're ready to call it done.

I installed Intermountain wheels.  They're a little loose for my taste, but nothing else would roll freely. 

Our Local Hobbytown is closing up forever, so I can't get any Kadee couplers until the next train show.  The McHenry's will suffice.

The lenses in the marker lamps are drops of epoxy, applied over red and green enamel. 

The lift bar chains are blackened brass, 40 links to the inch.  I used a needle and thread to attach them. 

There are a few spots that turned out a little rough.  Well... looks rough with the camera in close.  Considering how tiny an HO Caboose can be...

Enjoy.  Regards, J

J3a-614

Jon's done his part, now the Bachmann needs to get him those 7600s. . .

:D

NMWTRR

As always Jon's projects are inspiration.

Fantastic looking caboose to bring up the rear of any train!

ebtnut

Yes, excellent work here.  Jonathon, you gonna bring that to show off at Timonium next weekend?

jonathan

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Yes, I have already packed it in my train box for Timonium.  My club is the PWMRC.  We have a smallish modular layout compared to most of the other club layouts. 

You'll know my module by the brass PFM 0-8-0 and Varney Docksider parked in front of an engine house.

I tend to really geek out and wear and B&O engineer hat.  I wonder if people stare?

Regards,

Jonathan

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on October 19, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
Yes, excellent work here.  Jonathon, you gonna bring that to show off at Timonium next weekend?

Absolutely!

Jonathan, you should be doing project articles for the hobby magazines. Your projects are as well done as anything I've ever seen in Model Railroader, for example.

jonathan

Thanks, JBJ.  If only it were true.  Maybe I take better pics than I thought.  I never considered showing anything to the slick mags.  Those guys use airbrushes and all the latest tools and chemicals to make museum quality stuff.  I use razor blades, pliers and spray bombs. ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon - I second what JBJ has said. Mr and RMC need articles where the builder uses simple tools. Not everyone has a compressor and air brush. Your modeling is as good as anything I've seen in the model press. You won't know unless you try - you can get guidelines for publishing articles from the publishers. Maybe you can get others interested in "beano" modelling!

richg

MRH has been looking for articles. Maybe presented as a way to get acceptable results like this with the tools you use. Your photos seem quite good. I have posted here about this free eZine before.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/article_submit

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

To those who are not aware, the free magazine can be downloaded and saved to your PC. Some articles come with videos.
I have all the magazines from day one which is about three years ago.

Good luck.

Rich