News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Caboose Project

Started by jonathan, October 09, 2011, 01:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

In anticiptation of my two EM-1s arrival, I started a new caboose project.  I have a proper B&O I-12 Wagon Top Caboose.  But I need a caboose for the second EM-1.  I started an I-5D Caboose, one of the most common B&O Cabooses (that's an opinion of course).

Anyway, it's fun to share.  Here's a few shots of my progress.  Keep in mind I need to do some serious fine sanding and cleaning.  However, I am getting close to the painting stage.  She will be numbersed C-2222. That's the I-5 at the B&O RR Museum in Baltimore.

For a little size perspective:  the brake rigging is 0.015" wire and the grabirons are bits of 0.010" wire. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Enjoy:

Doneldon

jonathan-

It looks great to me. That, of course, is no surprise. You are a highly skilled modeler.

Do you ever have problems with painting plastic and brass at the same time. I'm wondering especially about priming the brass before painting. Or maybe you prime everything.
                               -- D

jonathan

Thanks, Doneldon.

I have gotten in the habit of using Floquil Primer (spray bomb) over every material I paint.  It seems to stick to everything quite well--at least, I haven't had a paint job come apart since using the primer.

In a pinch, I have used Floquil Grimy Black as a primer, too.  It seems to do a good job as well.

I don't have room, or the desire, to invest in an airbrush system, so all my finishes are spray bombs.  Small trim decorations are brush painted.

To prep the materials, I use my wife's Zout sprayed liberally over the piece, then rinse in luke warm water and allow it to air dry overnight.

That's it.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Looking forward to seeing it in red paint and white letters. . .

Santa Fe buff

Alright! That looks amazing.

Great work, I look forward to updates!

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

jward

Quote from: jonathan on October 09, 2011, 01:03:16 PM
In anticiptation of my two EM-1s arrival, I started a new caboose project.  I have a proper B&O I-12 Wagon Top Caboose.  But I need a caboose for the second EM-1.  I started an I-5D Caboose, one of the most common B&O Cabooses (that's an opinion of course).

I am a little confused as to how the I5D being the most common caboose on b&o is an opinion. they either were or weren't. certainly, i am not aware of any other class of caboose on b&o which approached their numbers. even into the 1970s, they were everywhere. for those who live near pittsburgh, one still exists at the bridgeville public library.

good to see a nice model of an old friend.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

Jonathon:  I presume that the model is from a resin-cast kit, but you didn't identify whose kit.  Though I mostly model O/On3, I do some HO stuff to use at the club I belong to up in PA, so that might be a good project.

jonathan

ebtnut,

The kit is Pacific Mountain Scale Shops (PMSS).  The company is now defunct.  This was my one and only ebay purchase.  I got lucky. I bid modestly and won (small miracle).

These kits show up about one a month and usually go pretty high.  The kit is quite a challenge, but is as close as one can get to an actual prototype without looking at bra$$.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Update:

I used a flat black spray paint as a primer, as an experiment:

I have some leftover ideas in my head, coming from old MR videos, that talk about a "theater" effect, whereby one paints everything black and only paints what you want the audience to see.
It's a mess up there... ;)

I'm trying to stick with one thin coat of red paint, to keep the details as sharp as possible.  Here she is with wet paint--literally one-minute-old wet paint:

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

Nice work! Do you ever sleep.
Jerry

jonathan

;D  I do my best work just before I leave for my regular job.  ;D

It only takes a couple of minutes to paint.  It took longer to upload the photos.

Thanks, Jerry.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

jonathan-

How about a job? Do you ever work? I'm retired and I couldn't find the
time you seem to have to do your terrific modeling to save my soul. I
am soooo jealous!
                                                                        -- D

jonathan

RAM,

Your link is not working.  I tried everything I know, which isn't much.

Today's progress:

Got up a little extra early this morning.  I'll do that when I get close to the end of an exciting project.

Here's the prototype:

I took this photo so no copyright infringements to worry about.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

She's going to look good bringing up a train behind that Yellowstone. . .

jerryl

May want to replace the horizontal pipe on top of the stack with thinwall tubing, much more realistic....otherwise, great Job!