News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modify G scale 4-6-0

Started by Howard240, October 20, 2011, 10:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard240

Is it possible to modify or change the salt and whistle domes on a basic 4-6-0 locomotive.  I have wood-burner type domes and want to model coal era.  I know the stack is changable - are the domes?  Thanks for any help. 
from a newbie

rogertra

Quote from: Howard240 on October 20, 2011, 10:01:35 PM
Is it possible to modify or change the salt and whistle domes on a basic 4-6-0 locomotive.  I have wood-burner type domes and want to model coal era.  I know the stack is changable - are the domes?  Thanks for any help. 
from a newbie

"Salt" dome?  :-)

I think you mean "sandbox" or "sand dome" to the uninitiated.  The simple answer is "Yes".  It's possible to change anything on any locomotive is you have the skill and knowledge.  I suggest you re-post your message onto the G Scale board as they may be better able to help.

Sleeping Bear

I have found, by accident, that the sand and steam domes on my 4-6-0's are little more than just set in the boiler. Use a  gentel twist of the wrist in a back and forth wiggle motion, along with some up pressure, they may show up loose. I say a wiggle motion because there are alignment tabs under the domes you may (or may not) want to retain for re assembly. Don't carry your loco or even move it across your bench by the domes, they like to come out with out warning. I got a little too into it once and not thinking...grabbed the steam dome to lift an engine to place a test track under it(small work area)just as the drivers were about to make contact with the track the dome pulled loose. I have seen dozens on eBay that were dropped by younger children, and the older ones as well.     Hope this is some help.....Later All.......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Barry BBT

Because I handle so many locos, I am careful with new locos I receive, but once in house I glue the steam domes down hard.  If the sand domes tend to be a bit loose I will glue them down too.  If they are fairly tight, I leave them alone.

Had some clumsey events when first getting into the business, so developed the plan (above).  If it is a customer engine, I tip the loco and lift under the drive wheels and hold on to the steam dome .  So Far so good.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.