News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rail truck crapped out

Started by darryl1936, October 22, 2011, 02:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darryl1936

Well after three other On30 engines had gear failure, now the rail truck went kaput. >:(

Sure would like to have an On30 engine that will run without having a short life span.

If I can't find a good running On30 engine soon, I'll have to put everything on eBay and just run my large scale stuff. At least in large scale there are other manufactures to chose from. Actually I have a few Bachmann large scale engines and no problems with them at all except for the first batch of Shays. Why can't they get On30 right as far as engines ?

TOF

Anubis

I don't think anyone is listening, Darryl....
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

JerryB

Are you saying that Bachmann is refusing to back their Lifetime Limited Warranty?

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

S. Calloway

Darryl,  I have 4 of the 4-6-0s and all of them run great!  The problem seems to be with the geared locomotives and not the rod engines. I have seen all the fuss about those but I do not own any of the gearedlocos that seem to be giving so much trouble. I don't think I have seen too many complaints with the 2-8-0s either. I really like this "narrow gauge stuff" and I wish Bachmann could get these problems fixed!

railtwister

Quote from: JerryB on October 22, 2011, 07:05:08 PM
Are you saying that Bachmann is refusing to back their Lifetime Limited Warranty?

Happy RRing,

Jerry

There's no such thing anymore, now supposedly, they are asking people if the item is over 90 days old! Truth is, when there was a Lifetime Warranty was back when the covered items were cheap toys, and the "handling charge" amount was about all the item was worth.

Bill in FL

2foot6

The previous comments from Jerry ,Bill and Toff  are very valid and i totally agree with them.Here in the land of AUS down under,any person or company continuously selling their customers products with known defective components would soon be out of business or in court with class actions against them.I DO NOT want to see these sort of things happen to Bachmann, but customers will not keep loyal to,or put up with a company that seems to profit from selling spare parts to replace inferior parts(like gears). This week has changed my mind about future purchases ,my rail bus now only drives on one axle,due to gear failure and my rail truck has suffered  another gear failure.I have two shays,one works well, the other runs on three axles due to gear failure, my three climaxes have had their drive shafts and gears replaced , now working OK at the  moment.Enough is enough , being a pensioner I am unable to afford constant replacement of components plus the OS freight.My other  Bachmann  products,rod driven locos(steam and gasoline)coaches and freight cars are excellent runners and I,m happy with them.I can only hope that Bachmann will fix a problem that is becoming a sore point world wide and  that does not  help their reputation.regards to all Peter :-\

DWU

I started this conversation long ago ,they know the problems with gears,if they dont they should by now.Ive been waiting for a comment from the Bachman other than you can now get parts or return the item.

darryl1936

Well the cost of sending it or the others back to the fix it shop would be too much as I live in Hawaii and with insurance and delivery confirmation,  might get a back another shelf queen  !  Warranties are good but not if you have to throw more money away for something that is noted to have faults to start with and I have four of these now. Since I'm in these for not much money, I'll have a nice engine yard anyway.  They do look good, too bad they don't run that way too.

Maybe I'll have to move up to larger engines, On30, as they seem to have less problems.

The weather is nice here so it's training all year long and now it's time to play.  Bye TOF

JerryB

Quote from: DWU on October 23, 2011, 09:29:57 AM
I started this conversation long ago . . . <snip>

Ive been waiting for a comment from the Bachman other than you can now get parts or return the item.

DWU: You didn't ". . . start this conversation . . ." very long ago. You registered here on September 20, 2011, at 06:10:06 AM. That is just over 30 days ago.

Virtually all your posts have been aimed at bashing Bachmann. I don't see you posting anything factual about your problems, nor about your contacts with Bachmann Service. That is where you should be able to get some satisfaction, not here on their public board.

I'm not saying that they do not have some gear problems, and I certainly believe Bachmann has a duty to address these issues. On the other hand, the purchaser has a duty to properly seek warranty service through the Service Department. What do you want them to write here other than ". . . you can now get parts or return the item . . .?" Do you think they are going to come to your house and fix your problems? Perhaps you think The Bach Man should commit suicide in public over a piece of plastic breaking?

How about posting something factual about your dealings with the Bachmann Service Department? Or, how your locomotives worked with the new gears? That would put you in the helpful category rather than relegating your posts to the garbage category.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

darryl1936

Jim Banner

In a perfect world, I would not have to take my brand new car back to the dealer three times before all the windows would open and close.

In a perfect world, my computer would never crash and my virus checker would make sure I never, ever got a virus.

In a perfect world, a fine wine would never turn to vinegar before it reached my table.

Obviously, it is not a perfect world but mankind has still managed to survive.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

darryl1936

Here is an idea ?  How about we try the product out and if it works as is was supposed to be, then we pay for it?  Betch they would be making this stuff much better or go out of business !

Of course this ain't going to happen but it was just a passing thought. 

Now to find something a little smaller than the 2-8-0 like maybe a 2-6-0 ? 

All in all, I like On30 and will stay there till ? Thanks Bachmann for the ride so far as most everything is real nifty.

TOF in Hawaii

mabloodhound

The 4-4-0 American inside frame is small.   Might just fit in like you want and it is a good runner.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

DWU

Hello JerryB,To me a month is a long time without any real answeres.I have posted my dealings with Bachman service,Im the first to admit they HAVE treated me well,Ive said that in black and white.If I was the only one who purchased a new item that didnt work right out of the box id feel different,check the postings,there are many with these issues.How many bad locos are out their that we havent heard about cause they maybe dont know about this message board,and how many are yet to be sold?Were paying good hard earned money for these models,we pay shipping on returns and if Bachman so decides a charge for repairs.Yes I am bashing Bachman,for good reason.