News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie to large scale!

Started by cpaul, February 08, 2007, 05:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpaul

I just purchased a Durango & Silverton set, and already love it! :D

What is the easiest and least expensive method to add bell, whistle, and other sound effects?

cpaul

A.C. Miller

traindude109

Welcome aboard!  ;D

For detail parts I highly recommend Ozark Miniatures.

(www.ozarkminiatures.com)

Sound, my first recommindation would be Phoenix (www.phoenixsound.com) or Sierra (www.soundtraxx.com) Sierra at $189 is cheaper, but for about $100 more, you can upgrade to Phoenix. Both are great quality systems.

I also recommend you join MLS (www.mylargescale.com). A great website for resources and the forums are great too.

Happy Railroading!  :)

Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

Nathan

There are a number of ways to add sound.  Everyone will say 'Us This' or 'Use That'.  Before you go off in a wrong direction ask yourself some other questions.

Will I want to do some sort of radio or command control in the near future?  Do I want the sound to be under my control or some sort of automatic system?  Where will my sound be used: indoors, outdoors in a quite setting, at a layout with a number of other sound locomotives running at the same time?

I was able to add sound to one large scale locomotive by using a board and speaker that came out of a low cost toy train.  I had no control over any sound, it was ON or OFF.  There are some low cost sound boards that run on 9 volt batteries that you can add some simple magnetic triggers to if you want sounds to happen only at fixed points on your layout.  There are several sound boards that will work with standard DC controlled trains that use an add on box you put between the power pack and the track.  Some versions will work with a simple radio control.

Once you have defined what you want to do then you should be in shape to do some cost shopping.  The range for new sound equipment will run from $30 to $300 for the sound board and speaker.  Controlling the sound can run from $10 to how ever much you want to spend.

I you live in a area that has some good model railroad hobby shops, stop by and talk to other model railroaders and find out what they DO NOT like about the sound systems they use.  If you get Garden Railways Magazine look at some of the web sites the manufactures have in the ad's.

Nathan

cpaul

Quote from: traindude109 on February 08, 2007, 05:21:25 PM
Welcome aboard!  ;D

For detail parts I highly recommend Ozark Miniatures.

(www.ozarkminiatures.com)

Sound, my first recommindation would be Phoenix (www.phoenixsound.com) or Sierra (www.soundtraxx.com) Sierra at $189 is cheaper, but for about $100 more, you can upgrade to Phoenix. Both are great quality systems.

I also recommend you join MLS (www.mylargescale.com). A great website for resources and the forums are great too.

Happy Railroading!  :)

Thanks,
The mylargescale website looks great!
A.C. Miller

cpaul

Thanks for the advice.

I do plan to start a garden layout this spring.  Very simple, just a loop and go from there.

Chuck

A.C. Miller

Lee Carlson

Lee Carlson
President,
NYS&W -- Niantic, Yantic, Scantic & Willimantic Traction Co.

Steve Stockham

The advice that both Matt and Nathan gave you is excellent advice! There are so many ways to go from where you are now that doing good research is a must! Check out the largescale websites as virtually every question you will have has been discussed on them! Welcome to large scale and have fun! (Pease remember to keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times while the ride is in motion.  Thanks and have a pleasant ride! :D)