Fred Pelhay & Rickety - Unreleased models question

Started by J70, November 02, 2011, 05:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone at Bachmann could confirm if there were plans (would have been 2004-2005 time) to release wagons of "Rickety" and "Fred Pelhay". I'm sure I can remember the names popping up with Bachmann's other releases but I can't clearly recall.

Thank you,

Jack

thomasj219

I have spoken to someone at BACHMANN about this. Apparently the two were near completion but the characters were never approved by HiT, so BACHMANN changed them.

Rickety

Fred Pelhay

You can see they are the right colors, just no names and faces. If they had been released this may have opened the door to other railway series characters, but as HiT had just taken over in 2002 these two were not cleared.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Cheeky_ULP

Cupix the Azelf

I wish they would approve RWS characters... then we can have Bear, Diesel 199/Spamcan, Jinty and Pug and whoever else we like... :(
Thomas + Bachmann = the True Thomas Experience.

ThomasFan247

Quoting Thomasj219, that explains why the blue open wagon came out before the red one ;)

BillingsRR

@Azelf, Fred and Rickety were both named by Learning Curve and were unnamed in the RWS. I believe that was one of the reasons HiT said no to Bachmann making the characters, but I cannot confirm it and it is only second hand information.

thomasj219

Fred was named in the Railway Series, Rickety was not, his name was made up by Learning Curve. Not a bad name either.

BillingsRR

Fred was not officially named. Yes, he had the name Fred Pelhay, but he was never officially named by the late Reverand or his son, or Britt or HiT for that matter. Learning Curve was the first one to actually name him, even though he had the name on his side, the late Reverand may of called him "The Orange Truck" or something of  the sort, no true way of knowing to be honest.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Jamesis5 on November 04, 2011, 07:11:12 PM
Fred was not officially named. Yes, he had the name Fred Pelhay, but he was never officially named by the late Reverand or his son, or Britt or HiT for that matter. Learning Curve was the first one to actually name him, even though he had the name on his side, the late Reverand may of called him "The Orange Truck" or something of  the sort, no true way of knowing to be honest.
If it says his name on his side in an illustration, then he's named, just like Scruffey.

thomasj219

Exactly, even if he was, never officially refereed to in the narration of the book.

BillingsRR

That is exactly what I mean, since he was never named in the narrartion, it is impossible to state wheter or not the late Reverand wanted to officialy name the character Fred Pelhay.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Jamesis5 on November 04, 2011, 11:14:44 PM
That is exactly what I mean, since he was never named in the narrartion, it is impossible to state wheter or not the late Reverand wanted to officialy name the character Fred Pelhay.
That's digging too deep into it. I'm sure Awdry would review each illustration, as that's how he and Dalby ended up on bad terms.

thomasj219

Yes that is a little deep, he made a fuss about illustrations so I believe he was fine with the name.

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: thomasj219 on November 05, 2011, 12:20:54 PM
Yes that is a little deep, he made a fuss about illustrations so I believe he was fine with the name.
I'm on this side of this gentleman-ly debate. :).

J70

Chances are Fred Pelhay was a random name given to a private owner wagon, and Rickety is just a name derived from (possibly) the condition of the truck.

Just bumping in case I get a definite reply back about Bachmann having planned them for release.

Jack