News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why???

Started by kenp, November 04, 2011, 06:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenp

Why in the world would Bachmann put a rectangular, COAL tender with the 2-8-0 and then paint it for SP? When they have a reasonably good short vandy OIL tender, which would be WAY MORE CORRECT for an SP consolidation?? Now that we can't even buy the tenders separately anymore, we can't even fix it now....................................Aggravating!

Ken

Pacific Northern

Why are you complaining? The 2-8-0 is generic. a few minor variations but it certainly is not a "TRUE" SP engine. If you really wanted a SP Bachmann tender they are available if you really wanted one. Use the web.
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

The art of making new shells for old mechanism is not yet dead.  I have a friend who models CN exclusively and has a stable full of hand built and customized CN steamers in H0.  Another friend is custom building brass steamers.  He makes everything except the motors - he even cuts his own gears.  His H0n3 models are superb runners.  He does this highly detailed and exacting work to relax after his daytime job.

And have you seen the work Jonathan is doing?  My hat is off to all these people.  I am afraid I am not in that class.  Heck, they won't even let me into the same school.

As far as Bachmann making a locomotive that is 90% right is concerned, many would be happy with it.  But there would still be those who complained about the other 10%.  Which brings up two more questions - where do you draw the line when it comes to perfection?  and do we really want to discourage those leaders in the hobby who are trying for 100%?

The other approach would be for someone to put together a kit of parts for modifying a generic locomotive into a specific one.  This has been done in the past, either by people working alone or forming small companies.  The problem is that once the big company stops producing that particular generic model, the business of supplying conversion parts quickly dries up.  In spite of the risks, another friend went into photo etched parts and kits for retirement income, and did quite well at it.

Bottom line, there is nothing to stop any one of us from making after market parts for Bachmann locomotives as long as we have the know how, the contacts, the working capital and can write understandable instructions for their use.  It could be a great business opportunity for some.  Personally, I enjoy spending my retirement having fun with my railways, teaching model railroading, displaying model railroads and writing about model railroading.  Making after market parts for others to have fun with sounds too much like going back to work full time.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

if i am not mistaken, the original bachmann 2-8-0s were reading prototypes with the wooten firebox. thus the 2-8-0 has already gone through one shell change.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BillD53A

The 2-8-0 manufactured in the 1970s were models of Reading engines, but they were NOT the same as the 2-8-0 avaialble today.    The mechanism today is totally different than the Reading engines.
Todays engine is a model of an IC loco AS BUILT.

on30gn15

Quote from: BillD53A on November 05, 2011, 02:27:40 PM
The mechanism today is totally different than the Reading engines.
Yeppers, the 1980s Reading 2-8-0 had that ring-field overgrown slotcar motor, not my favorite.
Currently working on one which had the motor taken out to be a dummy unit double-heading with a 2-10-2 for my freelance RR.
Hey, if the diseasel dudes can do dummy units, why not the teapots too.  ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

BillD53A

A buddy had one which was a very bad runner.  He double-headed it with a Bowser Challenger for about 15 years.  One day, something inside went +++CLICK+++ .  Now it runs like a watch!