News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Metal couplers

Started by dbwc6f, November 06, 2011, 09:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbwc6f

So I was going through my Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8s and replacing the plastic McHenry couplers with metal ones.  I tried the 148 whisker Kadee couplers they fit but don't move freely back to position when I tighten the cover.  Anyone have any ideas on which ones to use???

jward

back off the coupler screw a little until the coupler swings freely.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

dbwc6f

I know that sounds simple but I already did that.  The coupler is too loose.  Anyone else have any suggestions

Len

Quote from: dbwc6f on November 06, 2011, 09:28:18 AM
So I was going through my Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8s and replacing the plastic McHenry couplers with metal ones.  I tried the 148 whisker Kadee couplers they fit but don't move freely back to position when I tighten the cover.  Anyone have any ideas on which ones to use???

The shanks on Kadee 'whisker' couplers are slightly thicker than their couplers that use the bronze centering springs. This keeps them from flopping around in coupler pockets designed for those couplers. Since the arrival of the "clones", almost all of which use thinner shanks and plastic 'whisker' style centering springs, many manufacturers have reduced the depth of the coupler pockets.

On locos and cars with these shallower coupler pockets, the Kadee whisker couplers will bind if you tighten down the coupler pocket lid. So you have to thin the shank of the Kadee 'whisker' coupler a little, until it swings freely with the lid in place. Take a little off each side of the shank with a fine flat file, emery board, or very fine sandpaper until it fits correctly. Give it a good shot of graphite and burnish both sides when your done.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.