News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-8-4 EM-1

Started by richg, November 17, 2011, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Unless you have a LHS you support, there are very good on line sources with very good prices including shipping and have good support. Sometimes mentioning prices will get you a better deal with a LHS.

Rich

digitalgriffin

I can't wait to get one.  Hopefully I can show it off for the annual show.  There's a lot of B&O people around here.

jonathan

Just contacted my dealer and his computer shows that my order is now being processed (use to say "backorder").  No delivery date, yet.  Movement is progress, however.

Regards,

Jonathan

adari

Here is a video of someone on youtube running one, It looks great. Unfortunately he hasn't put sound in yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBQ7GMykOGA&feature=feedu
Adam

jonathan

He also needs to build a proper caboose. ;D

Looks pretty.  Seems like he spent no prep time and put the loco on track to run immediately.  Still it took off perfectly.  That's a good sign.

I also saw the areas that will need tinkering in order to get that baby looking like an early-to-mid-fifties, coal hauler.  Looking forward to it...

Regards,

Jonathan

smiway

I purchased one at my LHS yesterday. Engine is gorgeous. He expects to get sound system in very soon. I bought #7600 and it runs incredibly smooth. Can't wait to get sound system. I have to find appropriate caboose to go with it. LHS received only 8 units and only three are left.

Wayne R. Smith
Long Island, New York

tschwarz

Does anyone know if these engines have been shipped to Walthers yet?  I am waiting on 4 from my dealer and he gets them from Walthers.  

Please tell me I will see them soon!   :)

GN.2-6-8-0

Speaking of cabooses for the EM-1 how close will the new Bachmann Northeastern caboose be to a B&O crummy....anyone have an idea?

Rocky Lives

jonathan

GN,

Not too close:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3811

The ladders are on the wrong side, and B&O cabs had extension hand grabs onto the the roof.  B&O cabs had peaked rooves on the cupola.  Many other details are missing or in the wrong place.  Not Bachmann's fault, because:

In typical B&O fashion, they built their cabeese completely unique to other roads.  The only way to get a prototypical B&O caboose is to build a craftsman kit, like the Pacific Mountain Scale Shops (PMSS), or look for bra$$.

I modified a Bachmann Bobber Caboose to closely resemble the I-11 Bobber in the B&ORR Museum.

There is a one-man company called Smoky Mountain  Model Works, who promises to produce a wagon top I-12 kit sometime next year.  Not holding my breath.

PMSS is out of business. Their kits do turn up on ebay occasionally.  They produced kits for the I-1/I-1A, I-5/I-5a/b/d, I-12 and 1-17/I-17a.

I-10s (former B&RP) are only available in bra$$.

Athearn made a blue box kit of a long caboose, which was rare on the B&O.  But Athearn must have produced millions of the kits because they turn up on ebay in droves.  They can be detailed to closely resemble an actual B&O caboose (the most economical way to go).

Walthers made a wooden C&O caboose (C-5 Class?) which was leased by the B&O in the 60's.  They were painted yellow.  I repainted one red and backdated it ten years (a little artistic license).

Can't get to my pics at the moment, but I'm sure you've seen some of these cabeese in my former posts.

Don't know if I helped or frustrated you.  I looked at the new Northeastern caboose and don't think I have enough tinkering ability to turn it into a B&O caboose.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

There are scads of diesel-era B&O caboose models out there (Bev-Bel and Walthers et al).  I find this strange.  The B&O was a skeleton of its former self in the last two decades of its existence. jv

brfriedm

I have a few questions. The #'s of this current run by Bachmann are in the 7600's but I though near the end, the EM-1's were in the 600 series. Were they renumbered?

Also they did  4 numbers, 3 have the large dome and single headlight, 7600, 7604 and 7614.

Then they did the 7627 with small dome and dual headlight. Why the difference? Was this a later modification near the end for the 7627?

I had also read the 7600 was the last unit before being scrapped and was used on some fan trips.

Thanks.

Bruce

jonathan

brfriedm,

There were 30 EM-1s built (7600-7629).  They were renumbered to the 600 series, I believe, in 1956.  The youtube videos I have seen were all made after the renumbering, towards the end of their lives.

Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsEYgHX6Og
The last fan trip was filmed (it's in the video).  I can't recall the number.

Some of the later EM-1s received dual headlights and a smaller sand dome with the sand hatches running longitudinally.

There is a dispute about which EM1 was the last one running/scrapped.  It raised a bit of a stink because one EM1 was suppose to be held out for the B&ORR Museum.  Don't recall which one it was.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

All of the remaining B&O steam was renumbered in the mid-1950's.  The B&O wanted to use the four-digit numbers for the new diesels, so the steam engines got new numbers for about 18 months before all steam ops ceased in mid-1958 (give or take). 

Warwick

This EM-1 is a triumph for all of us who cannot afford brass. Huge congrats to the folks at Bachmann for a great choice!

Please can we have an HO scale D&RGW L131 2-8-8-2 next....?

All the best
Warwick

brfriedm

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.  Bruce

uncbob

Just ordered mine from MB Klein --no sound --DCC on board