News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-8-4 EM-1

Started by richg, November 17, 2011, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Yep' I jus' order'd one too.I'll wait until a few sound equipped ones are posted on youtube before i buy a sound unit just to see what they sound like.
Rocky Lives

brfriedm

Maybe Bachmann can answer this. When will the sound boards be available for the EM-1?

Thanks,

Bruce

GN.2-6-8-0

Micromark has the sound module listed on their site ($73.95) I'd call first to make sure they are in stock though.
Rocky Lives

Bucksco

The sound modules have not shipped yet. Should not be much longer though.

GN.2-6-8-0

Rocky Lives

uncbob

Quote from: Yardmaster on December 02, 2011, 02:49:00 PM
The sound modules have not shipped yet. Should not be much longer though.

Is there a speaker in the tender or do you have to install one with the sound module

JoeSantora

I've looked all over the place. How long are these brutes?

Joe

GN.2-6-8-0

According to the Locomotive cyclepedia the prototype was 125 feet over the coupler faces.
Rocky Lives

ebtnut

It is a bit hard to tell on the video, but it looks like both the front and rear engines articulate, like the old Rivarossi models.  Anyone else see that?  Not a complaint at all.  It means the engine will go around much tighter curves than if the rear engine were rigid.

jonathan

ebtnut,

I caught that, too.  Both driver engines have to be swiveled. Not a big surprise.  What caught me was the cab swing.  I was expecting the front of the boiler to stick out when rounding a curve.  Now that I have seen it, it make sense it's the cab that hangs out when rounding a turn.  Also makes sense that the tender draw bar extends way up under the trailing truck somewhere.  Keeps from pulling the tender off a tight (22") curve.

Regards,

Jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

O.K decided not to wait, Just preordered the sound module from Micro Mark $73.95+9.95 shipping..... can't help it I'm greedy ;D
Rocky Lives

richg

It would be nice if someone scans the paper work for their loco and post the pictures  here. No telling when Bachmann will post the loco diagrams.
If they are adventurous like I am, open the tender so we can see what the decoder and speaker arraignment/connectors, PC board/s are like.

Rich

jonathan

Mine is expected on or about 14 December, along with the sound unit (supposedly).  If no one else has done it by then, rest assured I will document and post all my findings.  I plan to figure out how to remove the loco shell as well.

I'm making a list of superdetails that will have to be added, too.  Can't wait for the fun to begin.

Regards,

Jonathan

uncbob

Mine was shipped today
I may get it tomorrow or latest Wednesday

I will test run it then it will go in my display case with my other Articulateds
Only major one missing will be the Allegheny( but $500 is too much for a Rivarossi )

My layout is too small to realistically run large artics

tschwarz

Quote from: jonathan on December 05, 2011, 12:58:30 PM
ebtnut,

I caught that, too.  Both driver engines have to be swiveled. Not a big surprise.  What caught me was the cab swing.  I was expecting the front of the boiler to stick out when rounding a curve.  Now that I have seen it, it make sense it's the cab that hangs out when rounding a turn.  Also makes sense that the tender draw bar extends way up under the trailing truck somewhere.  Keeps from pulling the tender off a tight (22") curve.

Regards,

Jonathan

Typically it is only the brass models that do it the way it was done on the prototype with only the front set of drivers pivoting.  I have an Akane EM-1 and it works that way and I also have a Westside EM-1 on lay away and it is the same with only the front drivers pivoting. 

Bachmann and Rivarossi make both drivers pivot so it can tighter curves.  If you want to see boiler over hang look at a brass EM-1 taking a 30" radius curve.

Tom