News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

An open letter to the Bach Man

Started by florynow, November 18, 2011, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florynow

Dear Mr. Bach man.

I've seen the future coming in my time I've spent here and I have to say, if you don't know already.....

Model railroading is not about million selling items to a toy train market.

You have a big following of serious model railroaders, but good stuff they can really use seems to go away and get replaced by not so useful stuff, like a Durango and Silverton train set, that gets lots of single unit sales to a non-repetitive non-involved customer.

In other words, you don't seem to always be very interested in the faithful return customer who doesn't buy big-pop stuff all at once but keeps coming back and really lays down cash over time.  

I myself have patronized Bachmann to the tune of about 20 steam locomotives because they suit the ethos of the imaginary creation in my home, but I've seen five models of the six I have go away.  I've stockpiled them because I believe I see the Bachmann future going to train sets and related items rather than engines of the quality that the ten-wheelers were.

If that's the case, fine.  But someone will eventually fill the void to some degree.  There ARE other steam engines out there but Bachmann at the moment has cornered the small and midsized steam engine market.  That could change, though.  But I'll probably be dead by then.  I'm glad I have extras of both versions of the ten-wheelers and of the decapods stashed away for what appears to be the coming drought.

PF

the Bach-man

Dear PF,
How about the EM-1, the S-4s, the Schnabel car, the new 2-6-0s, the On30 Heisler, etc?
We try to have something for everyone, and I think we do a good job.
I do understand your point, though...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

on30gn15

Quote from: florynow on November 18, 2011, 07:35:03 PM...about 20 steam locomotives because they suit the ethos of the imaginary creation in my home, ...
Which, of course, is exactly the same as everyone else's ethos in everyone else's home.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Bucksco

Everyone that examined the 2-6-0 at the NMRA convention, iHobby Expo and most recently Trainfest were quite pleased with this locomotive. It might be prudent to wait until you see it in person before posting criticisms about it.

When products are removed from the Bachmann catalog it does not necessarily mean that they will never be produced again. They will most likely be run again in the future.

As far as the separate sale tenders are concerned the Bach Man was correct. They did not sell well enough to merit packaging them separately. My suggestion would be to call our service/parts department to inquire as to the availability of the particular tender you are looking for. They will most likely be able to find one for you.

Bachmann is one of the most prolific model railroad manufacturers in the world. We produce many scales and a variety of products for the beginner as well as the seasoned model railroader but as a famous President once said (and I paraphrase) "You can't please all of the people all of the time".

richg

I cannot comment on how to run a model railroad company as I have never tried.

I have seen the SP tender, DCC ready with PC board on the Internet this week during a search for Bachmann products and not on ebay either.

Ric

Jerrys HO

There will always be someone who is hard to please. Sorry florynow but I have read most of your posts and I have not heard many positive reply's. Being a fellow Louisianian I had to reply as to save face for the rest of us here.

Bachmann Trains is doing an exceptional job at trying to please all sides of the market. I feel there product, warranty,and service is first class and reasonably priced. As with anything electric with moving parts there will be a little tweeking, modifying, and enhancing to get it the way YOU want it. Not everything is plug and play. That's what this great hobby is about.

I model some BNSF and till recently I never seen any produced by Bachmann till I walked in my LHS and there it was " The Rail Chief Set". Patience paid off.

Sorry again for being so forward but the negativeness is not fun to read.

Jerry   

Len

Maybe we should just go back to the days when if you wanted steam it was either a build it yourself MDC/Rounhouse kit, a $1,500.00 brass import, or scratch build it yourself.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richg

This 2011 and fast approaching 2012. The world and the hobby is evolving. Many seem to have issues with change and get frustrated.
With all the forums I belong to, I see this issue quite often.
Bean counters and pencil pushers run the hobby now.

Rich

Jerrys HO

flory-

I noticed quite a few tenders for sale in the Favorite Spots store. I don't know if you are looking or not but some do seem to be available.

Comments are always good if done in good taste. Maybe Bachmann would heed more peoples advice if it was done that way instead of sounding like their being bashed all the time. I respect the modeler that builds to a specific era or counts rivets, I myself like variety and try to keep it looking like it belongs even if it does not.

Jerry

en4cer

I sell new and used model railroad products at Model Train Shows in our area for the hobby shop I work for. So I get to visit with hundreds of customers on a given weekend, their input is priceless whether it's positive or negative. It helps you as a seller understand what customers are looking for and what they have experienced with products they have purchased. Yes I agree that negative comments are hard to hear but its still important if you want to improve your products or provide quality products to customers. As far as Bachmann products are concerned I hate to say that most seasoned model railroaders tend to steer away from Bachmann and venture over to other manufacturer's products. I hear this over and over at the shows, I myself love Bachmann products but I have to also understand that it's not what I like but it's what the consumer wants that's important. I think Bachmann makes great engines, whether steam or otherwise. I do think their EZ-Track products need improvement especially the turnouts. Anyway thats my input if it helps.

hawaiiho

Quote from: en4cer on November 20, 2011, 10:16:10 AM
I sell new and used model railroad products at Model Train Shows in our area for the hobby shop I work for. So I get to visit with hundreds of customers on a given weekend, their input is priceless whether it's positive or negative. It helps you as a seller understand what customers are looking for and what they have experienced with products they have purchased. Yes I agree that negative comments are hard to hear but its still important if you want to improve your products or provide quality products to customers. As far as Bachmann products are concerned I hate to say that most seasoned model railroaders tend to steer away from Bachmann and venture over to other manufacturer's products. I hear this over and over at the shows, I myself love Bachmann products but I have to also understand that it's not what I like but it's what the consumer wants that's important. I think Bachmann makes great engines, whether steam or otherwise. I do think their EZ-Track products need improvement especially the turnouts. Anyway thats my input if it helps.

I most certainly  vigorously second your comment on EZ Track turnouts. I have a small sized layout(5 x10) and every problem that I currently have is directly associated
with the turnouts. It is very expensive to send defective turnouts back to either Bachmann or the source that from where they were purchased. This has become such a problem,  that I am very seriously considering breaking down my entire layout and replacing all the track and turnouts with another brand. This would be an expensive and time consuming process.
BUT, the poor quality of the turnouts may make it a necessity. I hope someone reads this and can get the message to Bachmann's management.