News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C track - EZ track HO Coach Compatibility

Started by czechwizard, November 19, 2011, 06:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

czechwizard

Guys, can I run C-track Marklin (3-rail) coaches and rolling stock on my DCC/DC EZ track without any electrical problems, I mean just wagons, not locos ? Or can I make some easy modifications ?

PhillipL

I tried the running some really nice Maerklin freight cars that were given to me about 20 years ago with my ROCO trains.  As soon as I place them on the track, everything stopped running.  Unfortunately, the wheels are made to AC operation and wiel short out the tracks (no damage occurs).  You will have to replace the wheels with DC wheels.  The good news is that Maerklin does make DC wheel sets that you can purchase at your locel Maerklin retailer. 

jward

the maerklin cars and locomotives i've seen have solid metal wheelsets. the wheels are not insulated from each other, and will cause a dead short on a 2 rail system. you can, however, run 2 rail cars on maerklin track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Marklin makes wheel sets to convert most of their cars for use on DC/DCC layouts. You can get them from Walthers, item number: 442-320389 RP-25 Wheelsets 4/pk $14.18 + S&H. There are also specialty DC wheelsets for cars the RP-25 set will not fit. Just search using Mfg: 442 Key Words: DC Wheel.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jhanecker2

I bought some Maerklin Potter passenger cars  and replaced the wheelsets with  DC insulated wheels and changed the couplers with Bachmand NEM couplers . I replaced one of the bachmann "Potter" tenders rear coupler with a knuckle coupler and can pulled the Maerklin Cars with it , and this also allows me to use any other engine to haul the cars. John II.

czechwizard

Hmmm, thanks, guys, I just saw some used Marklin coaches in good condition on Ebay, but adding up the DC wheel cost, it ain't a bargain anymore. Oh, and about my other post TGV from Bachmann, nobody ?