How do I remove Factory Lettering?

Started by adari, November 20, 2011, 02:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adari

I recently Purchased a 4-6-0 with Factory Installed Sound!
It looks amazing and Is painted for the Southern RR.

Now here is my question, how do I get the Factory lettering off?
I want to re-letter this for a industrial Railroad that hauls bricks.
How would I go about doing this. I saw a tutorial on MRR's website and they recommended Micro-Sol.

Thanks a Lot!
Adam

jonathan

Adari,

Bachmann lettering tends to be stamped on, not decaled.  I doubt the microsol would do much.

Do you intend to repaint (or weather) along with relettering?

A quick way to remove the factory stamped lettering is to use 600 grit sand paper with a touch of paint thinner on it.  Sounds a bit drastic, but it's fast and it works.  It does dull (but not remove) the underlying finish (black paint).  This does not bother me because I tend to weather a bit, so my marks on the finish do not show.  Don't use too much pressure, either, so you don't sand off the rivets.

I wish I had a better pick but this loco was NYC before I removed the lettering a changed it to B&O:

Regards,

Jonathan

doug c

I successfully have used  LowFume Oven Easy-Off  to loosen up the decals off AristoCraft rolling stock  and  USATrains gp38-2    !     Bot I believe also use the stamped decal method !?

Sprayed and let lay for 3 hrs before using a soft brush under running water in the  bathtub.   

You don't want to forget the units because it will soften the surface  (do have a lite fingerprint off rubber glove on one unit)     but any surface marks or ghosting just enhances a weathered look   imho

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

poliss

Some people use a fibreglass pencil to remove factory numbering.

glennk28

if the loco is supposed to be one that your short line bouight from a big road,  just paint out the original road's lettering with a thin coat of black--so the original ne barely shows thru.  then put on decals for your road name.

I know of one loco on display that for many years you could see traces of three owners' names.  Then they sandblasted it and  removed the history.

Which leads me to--Paasche Air Eraqser--a mini-sandblaster.

glenn joesten

adari

The only thing about that is that I have never seen a steam engine with patched out lettering. I have seen diesels but not steam.
Do you know where I can find a picture?
Adam

ebtnut

Two other things I've tried with some success - rubber cement thinner (can usually be fouind at a craft store or office supply store), or a product called "Goof-Off", which can usually be found at a good hardware or home supply store.  It depends on the ink that was used.  Use a Q-tip and rub on the lettering carefully.  If you start to see any of the base color, stop, and go to one of the other methods already noted.