Another Hobby Store Goes Under

Started by jonathan, November 20, 2011, 09:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

It was sad really, as I rumaged through the last items on the shelves of a Hobbytown.  Today was the final day.  This store, while not the greatest, was only 1 mile from my house.  It was very convenient when looking for a little paint, strip wood, styrene or #11 blades for my hobby knife.  The next closest store is quite a distance.

I took advantage of the last day as they were offering 90% off everything.  I swept up all the little brass screws, washers and nuts.  There was an NWSL quartering tool I had always wanted.  The price was certainly right.  Picked up everything that might even come close to being useful.

We are getting closer, I think, to a day when everything is ordered on line.  Hopefully, the train shows will keep coming around.  I like to pick up, study, smell, taste and shake an item before I decide to buy.  This is hard to get use to.

Regards,

Jonathan

NarrowMinded

I feel for you,
I have seen several small mom and pop shops go the way of the dodo bird, I am lucky (Sort of) to live just south of Los Angeles, but even still hobby shops are getting fewer and far between and the ones close by seem to cater to gas powered R/C cars, If I was still into r/c gizmo's I would be happy, but my days of crashing hundred dollar bills into the ground have passed.

NM-Jeff

jettrainfan

yea, got 2 hobby shops that are a close. (4 streets away and 17.7 miles) The hobby town i used to go to went down, but not so hard. It had a buy one get free. It was not bad, i bought 10 freight cars and picked up 4 more last summer while they still had stuff in stock... but that was only model trains. Their RC cars and planes was what kept them in business.

The 4 streets away is Wingz Hobby shop. They've been in business longer than my dad being in 1st grade (when he moved into lakewood, ohio). My grandpa knew the original owner (father of the current owner) quite well. At wingz, they make their money from the trains, but make a good amount from planes too. The main difference i can think of is its family owned. I think some hobby shops will last longer than others, but there may be a time where everything is ordered online... waiting for an order is great... but i prefer walking home looking at a new freight car or passenger car I've been saving up for knowing i'll be running it when i get home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

CNE Runner

I don't know whether one can 'count the LHS out'. Without question, the Internet has changed the way business is carried on in our economy. No longer is the public content to pay MSRP for anything. Along with a determination for the lowest price came the dissolution of many mom & pop stores as well as the proliferation of foreign (read: Asian) products. It seems very little is manufactured in the U.S. anymore.

The incredible increase in shipping rates, coupled with the addition of sales tax on all Internet purchases (how long did you think our politicians would let all that revenue slip through their fingers?), makes on-line shopping marginally cheaper than buying locally. I find it humorous when a buyer, at one of the train shows, says; "I can get that cheaper on the Internet." The look on their face is priceless when we figure up their 'Internet best price' + shipping. In most occasions, our price is lower AND they walk out with the item(s).

No, what is stalling the rebirth of the LHS is the state of the economy. Frankly I spend a mere fraction of what I used to spend on the hobby. With the rising cost of food, gasoline, and utilities one has to cut somewhere...that 'somewhere' is discretionary spending. This scenario should make train shopping at shows much more popular...or so it would seem.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

NWsteam

This is sad but I have trouble relating. Unfortunately in this economy I have to bargain shop. I research what I want and then I find it for the cheapest price... Most of the time, that's online. I refuse to buy from my Hobbytown down the street anymore. The have lost my special orders countless times, the owner runs a sloppy business. His employees even admit that it's bad and are always apologizing to me. I tried to be patient but after 3 years, I'm done. The next nearest store is great, but it's a long drive. By the time I drive all the way there and back it would be cheaper to buy online (gas money). No doubt if you have a LHS that gives you great service it will be greatly missed.

-Brad

NWsteam

QuoteThe incredible increase in shipping rates, coupled with the addition of sales tax on all Internet purchases (how long did you think our politicians would let all that revenue slip through their fingers?), makes on-line shopping marginally cheaper than buying locally.

But as of right now you can buy online with out being taxed. And many places will give you a shipping discount for large orders. I do agree that shipping can get out of hand...You have to know where to look.

Marginally cheaper is still cheaper. Unfortunately I have to watch my pennies. I do prefer to walk out the door with something, but I'll wait if I save a few bucks. Being a college student means i don't have money to blow.  :(

-Brad

poliss

You're lucky. Over here in the UK we have to pay 20% sales tax on internet shopping.

CNE Runner

Good Lord...20% sales tax??? That is outrageous! In the U.S. (in the near future anyway) one would pay whatever their state sales tax is (+ any 'local' tax if it applies). In our part of Alabama that would be ~7.5 %.

Speaking of the U.K.: I was in a mega bookstore today and thoroughly looked through Railway Modeller (a U.K. publication). No, I didn't purchase a copy as it costs $10+ here. There must have been 10 or 15 small locomotives that would be perfect on a mini layout (one was called a Type 3 I think). Another 'revelation' was the number of cardstock structures available. Coupled with this (no pun intended) were the numbers of really neat little 'goods wagons'. [You have your 5-plank and your 7-plank...whatever that means).

It might be interesting to use U.K. locomotives, and rolling stock, on a mini layout to completely change the look and feel. BTW: this stuff is expensive as we are spending dollars against the pound sterling...not a good exchange rate.

Ray

Jhanecker2

I like to buy locally where ever possible  but that means  driving at least  10 to 15 miles .  I live in a smalltown now and it has its benefits but I sometimes miss Chicago.  john 2.

NarrowMinded

I like to buy from a shop in the area I work, it's a dedicated train shop, the problem is they sell Bachmann and everything else at suggested retail price, I don't mind spending a little more to get the personnel service, but most times it's 40%  to 50% above on line, even with shipping. I have bought a few items I wanted right away but I feel like I am throwing money away.

NM-Jeff

jonathan

Ah yes, pricing... my now defunct Hobbytown use to give me regular discounts plus I got coupons depending on how much I spent at the store.  It was still a little more than a train show or online, but I was willing to pay a little more to support a local business.  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. 

There is a Michael's Arts and Crafts store in my town, but those prices are much higher when it comes to building and paint supplies.  Of course, trains are out of the question.

Now I will have to rely on train shows and the rare long-distance travel to the nearest available hobby store (which doesn't stock much anymore either).

I'm not a fan of ebay, but I have had to bite the bullet and get a couple of things through that method (yuck).

Regards,

Jonathan

DWU

Sad but true,I beleive visiting a hobby shop will soon become extint!Even grumpy old men like myself have learned how to use the computer,not that I wanted to!I have 2 small shops nearby,all HO or N gauge.You mention On30 they look at you like your an alien,which maybe I am.Ive been forced to computerize,first of all they have no clue what your talking about,second they dont have it,but can order it for you.Now I just made one trip here,if I order Ill make another,although not alot I just wasted gas money which can be used for shipping charges.So I now buy 99% of what I need on ebay,its all their,SOMEWHERE ya just gotta find it!I try to use a big seller that has alot of things I need,I combine shipping when I can,unless you buy from your own state theirs no tax,you find your items,pay,and its shipped to your door,usually pretty fast.You dont waste time or gas,or get annoyed cause they dont carry it.Never,ever thought Id see the day I would use a computer,but as I said your almost forced.

CNE Runner

DWU - My comments are not a 'slam' against eBay (Lord knows I have sold a ton of things on this excellent website); but a warning that you can [frequently] do better on other sites. A case in point was an Tyco Heinz pickle reefer. I put it on eBay for $4.99 - it sold for $17!!! Furthermore, I have seen cars, such as the Bachmann track cleaning tank car, listed having a starting bid of MSRP.

Check around at the other discounters such as (but not limited to): Discount Toy Trains, Toy Train Heaven, Dallas Model Works, etc.). I think you will find that a little 'searching' will net you real savings. Another excellent place to score a bargain is a train show. Most vendors (such as myself) would prefer to sell an item - rather than schlep it from one show to another. This is not to be taken as an opportunity to submit 'low ball' or ridiculous prices...do your homework.

Regards,
Ray

jward

the problem with losing the local hobby shops is that tghe online retailers aren't going to stock the parts or obscure items you may want for your layout. the local hobby shop, at least one that is worth patronizing, will special order it for you. i tend to spend my money at places that can and will get me what i want, and give the others a wide berth.

bear in mind that my perspective may be a bit different from most in the hobby. i lay my own track, and items like spikes can be very hard to find.the same goes with pine roadbed (anybody remember that?) which is what i prefer to lay my track on. unfortunately, nobody seems to make it anymore. and the inability to find bags of ties led me to cut down matchsticks for ties....

the big online stores will sell you the items that sell well, and leave the rest alone. ever try to find a set of number boards for an alco fa1? trainworld won't sell them to you.

my philosophy is that if a retailer will order things like that for me, i will buy alot of other items from them as well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

poliss

You can buy HO spikes from Proto:87. I found HO sugar pine ties on the Kappler website.