News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New layouts (again)

Started by TrainLegend150, November 23, 2011, 12:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

i could see doing a layout with turnbacks at each end, and a narrowed center section. i think the biggest problem with the original poster's desire is that the 2-8-4 he has precludes the use of 18" r  which would allow the table to be 6-8" narrower. then the narrow aisle wouldn't be as much of a problem.

personally, if i had that type of room i'd be looking at n scale.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Don has a good idea. How about a dog bone layout along the long wall? Or a folded dog bone using three corners? It depends on where your door is.
Feel like a Mogul.

TrainLegend150

Also, I'm going to make the layout with 2 levels. On one of the levels, there will be double track. One of the tracks will have 26" curves. Will I have to use different radius curves for the other track for the tracks to fit perfectly on the layout?

Doneldon

TL150-

I'm not sure what you mean by "fit perfectly" but you will have to adjust your trackage if you want to nest loops. Three options come immediately to mind: 1.) Use a narrower radius on the inner loop, 2.) use the same radius for each loop but add a straight section to the outer loop, and, 3.) don't actually nest the loops concentrically but let them cross over one another at grade or at different levels.

Option One is the easiest. However, you'll need to make sure that you have sufficient side clearance so trains on adjacent tracks don't sideswipe one another on the curves. The necessary distance between tracks will increase as your locos and rolling stock get longer.

Number Two will require a wider platform if you want your 26" minimum radius on your inner track. You will still have to be concerned with lateral clearance.

The third option could make for an interesting track arrangement without increasing the amount of space you need very much. Depending on your layout, having the two tracks vertically separated three inches might or might not work; you don't want very steep grades. You can also have them cross at grade. That would give you an interesting track arrangement and an operational challenge because you'll need an interlocking to make sure two trains don't try to use the crossing at the same time. How much lateral clearance you'll need will depend on just how you arrange your tracks.
                                                                                                                                                              -- D

jsmvmd

Dear "Uncle Bob,"

Boy-Oh-Boy is that nice!  I suppose you could use two throttles or DCC. What would you think about using four No. 6 turnouts to make a double crossover in the center of one of the long runs so you could get a reversing section in there?

Best Wishes,

Jack

uncbob

Quote from: jsmvmd on January 02, 2012, 04:34:05 PM
Dear "Uncle Bob,"

Boy-Oh-Boy is that nice!  I suppose you could use two throttles or DCC. What would you think about using four No. 6 turnouts to make a double crossover in the center of one of the long runs so you could get a reversing section in there?

Best Wishes,

Jack
At one time I had a double crossover and a turn out off the inner track to a servicing facility and engine house but was having problems at the turn out/crosovers so I took it out before I balasted and went with a farm and depot along one of the tracks . I have DCC plus a throttle  that I can switch in on either track  that I use for my  DC diesels --My steamers are all DCC