News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

trouble with crossover

Started by full maxx, November 29, 2011, 11:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

My Bachmann crossover seems to be having an issue ...in the straight position it clicks as the engine starts on the points and it causes a derailment about half the time ...the point seems to be leaning ...watch this video and let me know what can be done ...warranty maybe... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twnazSSu_-0
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jonathan

FM,

First, very good video.  You really got in close so we could see what is happening to the switch point rail. 

It appears that the weld, solder or pressure that holds the rail to the pivot point has come loose.  The rail leans just enough so the wheels don't hit the next rails cleanly, causing the occasional derailment.  Bet the pony truck on your Connie really hates that.

The tinker in me wants to slip a small piece of brass or copper wire between the rail and the pivot point to prevent the lean just enough so the train won't derail.  I would use wire instead of plastic to help conductivity. Applying a glue or some solder in such a small area would be a tough trick.

Don't know about the warranty on EZ track turnouts.  I know the DCC crossovers can be pricey.  A call to the service department might be a good start.  If their tech could see the video, they might be impressed.

I'm no expert, just an opinion based on the video.

Regards,

Jonathan

digitalgriffin

Looks like the point rail is being pushed on.  It's possible the track is out of gauge (too narrow).  This is why it's good to have a NMRA rail gauge handy.

I would check to see if the outside rail (NOT the switch point rail that is moving), is bent inwards a little.  Sometimes with a little force you can bend them outwards.  This would increase the distance between the rails.

full maxx

according to my track gauge...the distance between the two solid rails right before the points are spot on...the point rail is loose
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

full maxx

ok...the pony truck that holds the pilot wheels is messed up to where one side pops loose and causes the derailment ...the 2-10-2 and the 2-8-4 and the 4-4-0 have no trouble at all but the wheels keep getting out on one side of the 2-8-0