Changing LGB Hook & Loop to Knuckle Couplers

Started by Allenkoz, November 17, 2011, 12:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allenkoz

Hi, I'm just bought a Bachmann White Christmas set.  I also bought some other (non Bachmann i.e. LGB) rolling stock separately on Ebay that have the hook and loop couplers.  Are these easy to change to the Bachmann knuckle couplers?  Is it as simple as changing them out with the one little screw?  I would appreciate any/all advice from the expert railroaders out there!  Thanks, -Allen

gunrunner

Wade Colyer

Hi Allen:

You'll need to use LGB knuckle couplers #64193 unless you change to Bachmann trucks. If you change you'll need to trim the end of the LGB car as the Bachmann coupler shaft sits higher than the LGB.

Wade

Allenkoz

Thanks Wade!  Where is the best place to buy couplers, trucks, etc at the best prices?  -Allen

NarrowMinded

Have you considered adding a Bachman hook and loop to one end of one car as a sort of transition car? run all your Bachmann cars up front then your transition car, your caboose could also have a hook and loop on one side and a knuckle on the other so you can run it at the end of the line. or just switch all your bachmann to hook and loop.

If this is a set that will only run around your tree at Christmas the hook and loop style will be easier to use and stay coupled better in my opinion.

NM-Jeff

gunrunner

hey wade
there has to be a logical reason for our divergent solutions
maybe scale ? ?
cause i haven't run into what yr talking about
i'm not big into math, can't help yu there
i have primarily bachman big haulers (nominal 1/24 , but who knows)
follow my wife thru flea markets, swap meets, etc
if i find a train thingy that looks "good"
for a couple of bucks it'll look even better in my parts bin
i've stumbled onto lots of b'man, lgb, deltron, aristo
put 'em on the test track, bump 'em together
if they're even close, it's just the simple little screw

doug c

"..Where is the best place to buy couplers, trucks, etc at the best prices? "

Depends on the day, season, etc.   

Best ya visit your regional g-gauge reseller to acquire a benchmark figure, and then start surfing the net of resellers for comparisons.       Also there is a couple reputable sellers on evilbay which tend to flip some of what you're looking for thru that medium.

BUT ya got to add-in shpg, taxes, etc. to make a fair final (to your door) $ comparison !!

I actually developed a excel spreadsheet to input the diff. variables for review the final cost of a item. Although now-a-days I can usually look at the asking price,  it is just the shpg that is the primary concern/unknown that can 'blow' what looks to be a doable price point.     

good luck,
doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Allenkoz

NM Jeff- thanks for the idea.  I may use the rolling stock outdoors someday, so I was thinking of strictly using the knuckle couplers.  Also, my boys may want to mix and match the order of the cars and having one consistent style coupler seems more simplistic.  Do you prefer hook and loop over the knuckles as the better option???  I am open to anyone who may wish to opine on this.  Thanks, -Allen

Sleeping Bear

Hook and loop are a little toy like for my likes and I like the more realistic look of knuckle couplers.....I can see where the other could be easier to couple on smaller layouts as well as a little more forgiving of alignment issues. I have started converting a great deal of my collection to Kadee  body mounted couplers. I do however, have at least two separate trains that will retain their original Bachmann Knuckle couplers. The Bachmann knuckle couplers work fine indoors or out  and will run through tight corners with out issue and as long as the couplers to be connected are in line, their easy to couple. The only thing to watch when changing other brands over is that the couplers all end up at the same height as the Bachmann couplers. When it comes right down to it the real choice is yours in the end.  Just my two cents....I'd go with the knuckle couplers myself .....Later All.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

NarrowMinded

Allenkoz,

I use the bachmann Knuckle couplers, they work well for me and will for you if you take care to connect your tack carefully and make sure there are no sudden changes in height from one section to another.

I mention the hook and loop for around the tree or occasional use because tracks for these purposes are usually a little less then perfect due to quick set up and the fact that they are temporary,  Hook and loop can handle inconsistent track better then knuckle couplers.

NM-Jeff

smcgill

Yes sire kadee's are the way to go! :o

All my rollimg stock have them!
I also have switched out all the plastic wheels for metal wheels!
Sean

doug c

I've used  H'Ls since day one  on the RBR  !       My reasoning dependable and I also am not a coupler fan,  but a rail fan I don't chase trains to take pictures of couplers  but chk out the power and the rolling stock.   

So for dependability weathered HnLs'    (Aristos 90%,   usually cut back to the second crew hole) therefore to also have tighter spacing btwn rolling stock.    I chk them on the indoor R1 curves as long as the corners don't rub/catch on the neighbouring car . . . they are good to go !!

imho,
doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Allenkoz

All great comments and advice.  Thanks everyone.  -Allen

glennk28

In a word--KADEE.  #831  iss the basic replacement for truck mounted couplers--then  check their site for special cases. 

#900 is the new generation rerplacement for Bachmann Spectrum equipment (older style #830), #905 (or 835 older style)  fits the Accucraft cars.

gj

Danny Sheehan in Oz

I have standarised on Bachmann Knuckle Couplers, they retrofit almost every other brand on the manket.  With European LGB rolling stock you usually have to remove the centre buffer or it interferes with the Bachmann Knuckle.

Simple exchange coupling, to maintain centering on other brands us a short Electriccal Tie, and cut to length,  simple.,