News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"sound-value"

Started by florynow, December 02, 2011, 05:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florynow

Dear Bach man:

Exactly what does "sound-value" mean with the 2-6-0?  Is it a 3-whistle Tsunami variant like with other sound-equipped Bachmann engines?  If so, which Soundtraxx whistles are included?

Please describe to us the nature of the sound system in this engine.

PF

the Bach-man

Dear Paul,
The decoders are built in. The steam locos have chuff, three selectable whistles, short whistle, bell, airpump, steam release and blower. The diesels have engine exhaust (8 notches), three selectable airhorns, short horn blast, and bell. Function 7 dims the headlight on both.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

CNE Runner

Thanks for asking this question PF. Mr. Bach Man: I, too, am not sure of the meaning of the moniker "Sound Value". How does this differ (if at all) from the 'Spectrum' line of excellent running locomotives? I noticed, in the January issue of Model Railroader, that Bachmann has come out with a really nice Mogul [2-6-0]. After experiencing the silky running characteristics of my [2] Bachmann Spectrum Americans, as well as my Spectrum GE-45 Ton, I am reluctant to 'plunk down' the better part of $200 for something that isn't up to 'Spectrum' standards. Is a 'Sound Value' product simply a 'Standard' locomotive with a factory-installed sound decoder & speaker?

BTW: Since I am in the asking mode; how about an updated (Spectrum quality) Plymouth WDT...or one of the other critters?

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Bucksco

The Sound Value locos are part of the Bachmann Standard line. The DCC/Sound Unit is integrated into the electronics board - it is not a "plug in" unit like the Spectrum Tsunami decoder. It features 16 bit sound like the Tsunami (and is manufactured by SoundTraxx) but has a more limited set of features. As far as the detail level of these locos is concerned we strive to add as much detail as possible and still keep them economically priced.

adari

Quote from: CNE Runner on December 03, 2011, 10:17:12 AM
Thanks for asking this question PF. Mr. Bach Man: I, too, am not sure of the meaning of the moniker "Sound Value". How does this differ (if at all) from the 'Spectrum' line of excellent running locomotives? I noticed, in the January issue of Model Railroader, that Bachmann has come out with a really nice Mogul [2-6-0]. After experiencing the silky running characteristics of my [2] Bachmann Spectrum Americans, as well as my Spectrum GE-45 Ton, I am reluctant to 'plunk down' the better part of $200 for something that isn't up to 'Spectrum' standards. Is a 'Sound Value' product simply a 'Standard' locomotive with a factory-installed sound decoder & speaker?

BTW: Since I am in the asking mode; how about an updated (Spectrum quality) Plymouth WDT...or one of the other critters?

Regards,
Ray
I have seen most of the pre-orders on these to be around 100 dollars. For that price I am probably getting two!
Adam

richg

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18717.0.html

Everyone, store the above link in Favorites if using IE or Bookmarks if using FF and memorize it. This will pop up a lot in various discussions. You have facts by The Bach Man rather than opinions.

Rich