News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wheels slipping

Started by ejseider, December 04, 2011, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

The drive wheels on my engines are slipping trying to climb a slight grade.  I've been told that there is something that can be applied to the wheels that will give them a better grip.  Can anyone tell me what it is and where I can get it?

Jim Banner

The magic motion maker is called Bullfrog Snot.  Honest.  It is available from the manufacturer.

http://www.bullfrogsnot.com/index.php?p=home

It is not cheap but it gets the job done and a little goes a long way.

(No frogs were hurt in this discussion.)

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

Have you tried adding a little weight to your engine? if that doesn't help and you opt for BFS as Jim Mentioned a little goes along way.

NM-Jeff

rogertra

Quote from: ejseider on December 04, 2011, 10:08:25 PM
The drive wheels on my engines are slipping trying to climb a slight grade.  I've been told that there is something that can be applied to the wheels that will give them a better grip.  Can anyone tell me what it is and where I can get it?

What is the percentage of grade?

What are the locomotives in question?

How many cars are you trying to pull up the grade?

As you do say "locomotives" the first responce would be that your grades are simply too steep.

Desertdweller

Before using BFS, consider that you will be reducing your loco's ability to draw electricity from the track with each wheel you apply it to.

Disclaimer:  I have never seen this product.  Cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Les

Jim Banner

Les brings up a valid point.  But if we are talking steam locomotives, we can more than make up for loss of pickup on a couple of wheels by adding tender pickups and increasing the number of pickup wheels by at least 8.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.