News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoupling

Started by wlk4460, July 13, 2007, 06:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlk4460

Does Bachmann make a decoupling track for their HO EZ Track system with a permanent magnet or possibly an electromagnet?

Dr EMD

Nope, just Kadee Quality Products.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

the Bach-man

Dear 4460,
Our under track permanent magnet, Item No. 78999, will mount under any section of EZ Track. It comes with a brakeman figure so you know where to stop your train.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

wlk4460

Thanks for the info.

I am contemplating building a new layout using ez track since there are so many items to work with now. I really like the look of the turnouts since the switch machine is built inside the turnout.

The only thing that would have held me back would be the inability to spot cars or have a yard.

RAM

If you want a nice looking yard you will not use EZ  for the yard track.  for the most part yards are flat. 

SteamGene

Ram is correct.  Yard track is laid over smooth ballast, like a double track on steroids.  One trick would be to use cork ballast laid side by side and not separated except maybe the two side pieces.  This will build the non E-Z track up to the correct level. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

wlk4460

I see what you are talking about.

The ez track roadbed it too high so I would raise the terrain under the rest of the track up even with the ez track and build the yard flat. I never thought about that.

I guess that's why my last yard never looked quite right. I used cork roadbed. It was functional but it never looked right.

I guess that's why it pays to ask questions before you spend money, lay track, stare at it, and then rip it up all over again.....

SteamGene

Cork roadbed is okay as long as you make it stay level, as I suggested.  OTOH, I think I read that they make cork sheets for yards.  You just position the sheets along side each other until you get the length and width you need for your yard.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Craig

Most people who use cork use sheet cork for their yards and other low areas. I used cork roadbed in mine simply because I got it cheaply. It was no problem filling in the low areas between tracks.

If you are really interested in realism, why not avoid EZ Track altogether? The small industrial yard on my private line has recessed permanent magnets and the track is affixed directly to the extruded foam. They work well.

Craig