News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

yet another fa2 post.

Started by jward, December 09, 2011, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

just got my sound equipped fa2. just wanted to say i am in alco heaven. it is like being in the yard at elkins, wva in 1975, with rs3s idling away. thanks for putting out an affordable locomotive that sounds just like the real ones did.

can we maybe expect in the future to see sound equipped rs3s as well?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtbob

Jward,

If Bachmann does a sound equipped RS3,  they will be the first to do so.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jim Banner

A sound RS-3 is an example where a powered unit permanently coupled to a non-powered sound unit could be the best choice.  At least it is something to think about.

Jim

p.s. to Bob
I like your signature line and would like to add:
If "pro" is the opposite of "con," what is the opposite of "progress?"
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ebtbob

Jim,

First of all,  let me answer the question you posted in your p.s.   The opposite of progress is Congress.
     Now,  let's talk about the RS3s.   Atlas puts factory installed sound in Alco C420s and they have a bit less room than the RS3 in that most of the C420s they sell are chopped nose engines.   They also do a number of "normal" short hoods in their C420s with sound,  so I am not sure what the issues are with not offering sound is RS1s,  RS2/3s,  or RSD4/5s.
     As an aside,   I have an Athearn RS3 in the Peabody paint scheme that has a Tsunami sound decoder that was installed at my local train store.  The engine sounds FANTASTIC!!    Here is picture of the engine.....

I only wish you could hear this thing....
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

ebtbob

Let me add something else to the RS3 discussion.    If Bachmann has any interest in doing RS3s with sound and DCC,   I suggest that they contact Karl Seifert at Lin's Junction as he is the one that installed the sound in my RS3.   Karl is in the store on Fridays only.   Call him at 215-412-7711 and as for him.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

richg

Quote from: ebtbob on December 10, 2011, 07:33:51 AM
Let me add something else to the RS3 discussion.    If Bachmann has any interest in doing RS3s with sound and DCC,   I suggest that they contact Karl Seifert at Lin's Junction as he is the one that installed the sound in my RS3.   Karl is in the store on Fridays only.   Call him at 215-412-7711 and as for him.

Bachmann RS3.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/2011_NMRA.pdf

Rich

Jerrys HO

rich-

The 2011 model is N scale and no sound on the RS3.

Jerry

richg

Oops, missed the N scale. My bad. Too much of my drug of choice, Caffeine. Not as bad as tobacco though.

Rich

jward

i would think that if they can put sound in an s4, which is smaller than an rs3, they could do the rs3 as well. i already have a bachmann rs3 as well as an atlas classic one. both are good runners with the biggest difference being that the atlas rs3 is significantly heavier than the bachmann one. this leads me to believe that there is a bit more room under the hood of the bachmann rs3 than the atlas one. we already have the appropriate sounds used in the fa2. i will be the first to admit i don't know the costs of retooling the rs3 for sound, and i am sure bachmann will want to see how well the fa2s and s4s sell before committing to any upgrade of the rs3.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA