UN-Assembled Locomotive kits. Who else would like to assemble thier own?

Started by NarrowMinded, December 10, 2011, 12:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

Who here would like to see Bachman package their Locomotives in a kit form?

Toss the completely unpainted body in a box with bags of screws, detail parts, a little wire, and everything else for us to paint and assemble as we like!

Who else would like to see this done?

I know I would love to get a G-Scale K27 this way and assemble it, as well as many  On30 locomotives that I like.

NM-Jeff

Desertdweller

It might be fun to do, but I think most people would like to start with a decorated body shell, at least for Diesels.

But I doubt if any money would be saved if they were offered as kits.  And, it might cause problems with the warranty.  Why would Bachmann want to warranty their customers' work?

Les

ForThemPanzerz

i would. sounds fun because the mdc engines i have were fun to put together.
Forumfield

Doneldon

Narrow-

There were many loco kits years ago, both steam and diesel. But there was a ton of rolling stock kits, too. There's been a huge shift to R-T-R models in recent years, possibly reflecting the time people have available for their hobby today and the aging of modelrailroaders with the concomitant dimming of vision and limitations of fine motor abilities. It's also true that older MRs, who are a very large part of the model railroading population, have much more money to spend on our hobby so they have less need to build their own trains to stretch their hobby budgets.
                                                                                                                                       -- D

Jim Banner

The only fellow I know who does not buy his locomotives ready-to-run is a scratch builder, not a kit builder.  He makes everything except the motor.  Yes, he even cuts his own gears.  One of these times, he will probably make his own motor too.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Terry Toenges

Jeff - I agree with Les about the warranty.
You could always take yours apart and put it back together. I was doing that with my toys since I was a toddler.
Feel like a Mogul.

Doneldon

Quote from: Terry Toenges on December 11, 2011, 02:08:01 PM
You could always take yours apart and put it back together. I was doing that with my toys since I was a toddler.

Terry-

I thought I was doing that as a young lad, too, but I learned that the
taking apart part was a lot more successful than the putting back together
part. Thank God for fathers!
                                              -- D

Woody Elmore

Kits can be as expensive as RTR. The parts have to be assembled and packaged. Packaging has to be designed. Also printed directions have to be included. And, as mentioned above, there can no guarantee other than a motor or circuit board was tested.

Terry Toenges

Don - I agree with you there. I had quite a few things that never made it back together. If they did, there was no guarantee it would be properly. Sometimes ended up with extra parts.
Feel like a Mogul.

NarrowMinded

QuoteThe only fellow I know who does not buy his locomotives ready-to-run is a scratch builder, not a kit builder.  He makes everything except the motor.  Yes, he even cuts his own gears.

I used to work for a Hangar Door Company, we built doors that ran on dual flange wheels on rail road track, I wish I still worked for a company with lathes, milling machines and such, I would have a 12" gauge I could take my Kids and grand kids on by now.

Oh well poor timing and poor pockets...

Still would Like to see Bachmann toss parts in a bag for me to assemble.

NM-Jeff

Desertdweller

Ken G Price

I would want to assemble my own locomotives more then I would wish to assemble my FORD Taurus. Though I have to admit my Bachmann GP40 is easier to put together then my FORD Taurus.
I only have diesel, and steam is a no, no for me.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/