News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tidmouth shed question

Started by kclark, December 26, 2012, 05:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclark

Okay so my son who still loves thomas since he was 1 and will be 9 soon has all of the wooden thomas' and "found" bachmann thomas on youtube. He has been infatuated with it. So, for Christmas he got his first bachmann thomas set with of all things Tidmouth Shed. It has been since my childhood since I messed with bachmann. So here is my question. With the shed, how do I get power to the turntable so when an engine is turned off of the main track, there is still power to back the engine into the shed.
Another question might be any advice as we begin to brainstorm on track layouts and build around the shed. We will be adding 3 stalls for his birthday.

Oh, also should I stay with the ez track or go old school for a permanent layout.

Thanks in advance.

Jerrys HO

power is through the 4th rail on the turntable.
for the layout plans your local hobby shop or online you should find something you like.

Jerry

kclark

Ok I'm dumb. Does the forth rail go to the main track and transformer that I currently have setup? Or do I put in a second transformer or does that hook up to the accessory line on the transformer?

Jerrys HO

no such thing as dumb. just a little learning curve in life.
the turntable receives track power through your layout connected to a turnout is the usual way and as you turn the table it energizes each siding connected to it's position.
this may help,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4OMJ1F-sg

Jerry

kclark

We got it figured out. Thanks.

Now just have to figure out our layout. I am thinking of deciding how to start around the roundhouse and branch out from it.
And should I use the "old" track or the new ez track?

Jerrys HO

What is the "old" track? Not the wooden track I hope. ;D ::)
If you have the EZ track it would be easier. ;)

Jerry

kclark

I mean the old ho track. The plain track. The ez track without the platform. just the rails and cross ties. Didn't know which was better for permanent layout. looks like most use the non ez track. I guess it is easier to get the authentic track look with rocks and such with the non ez. But didn't know what was more readily available and what was the cheaper route to go.

Jerrys HO

just kidding about the wooden track. a lot of modelers prefer flex track by atlas. i use all ez track. you can use both types but you would have to use roadbed to bring the regular track to the height of the ez track. ez track is code 100. i don't know what the old bachmann track was.

SodorAdventures

As far as readily available, local hobby shops usually carry both. Pricing varies, but it can be said that both are expensive. Atlas track may be a little more costly, because you would need track, gravel, and roadbed, where ez track is just the track. I use code 83 flex track, and let me tell you, it is much nicer than ez track by far.

Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com