Edward's ability to climb hills

Started by 12BarrJ, December 11, 2011, 04:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12BarrJ

Hi all,
I was just wondering, as I am considering purchasing either Edward or perhaps Douglas, how is Edward at climbing hills?
Is he as poor as Percy say or Emily?
My layout has two moderate sized hills in terms of length and incline, and, having seen Percy slip near the top when pulling 4 trucks and a brake van, I was wondering, how much better/worse does Edward compare?
Any information would help heaps in making my decision on which one to purchase.
Thanks  :)

RW James

Edward looks like he's the same size as James - and unless they have changed it internally somehow, I would say it is a very poor climber - worse than Percy. My James couldn't even pull himself up a 2% grade. I had to remove his eye mechanism and replace it with weights in the smoke box and in the cab.
Rick

Cheeky_ULP

Edward is a newer model, so he runs a lot smoother, and has a higher hauling capacity than James.

He's not too heavy though so may have trouble gripping the rails.

I'm speaking from experience with both models.

12BarrJ

Cool, thanks so much for your quick responses.
I shall see how James goes (getting him next week!) with the inclines and, if he fails, well, I will re-consider my options. Looks like Edward is still on the cards though :) I always did like him more than douglas.

NANA TRAIN

Edward isnt good at all at hills......

Calebtrain

Quote from: NANA TRAIN on December 19, 2011, 08:21:27 PM
Edward isnt good at all at hills......

\
Really? because he can pull 5 trucks up a steep gradient for me.   :P
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

chris123678

Edward is slighty smaller than James, but when put side by side, they come up the same size due Edward's tender being longer.

James sucks at hills. I stacked two legos together and placed then under the track and James couldn't do it.  I had to send Edward as a back engine, haha.

Edward didn't due to much better on hills. Considering he only has 4 drive wheels, but he pulls more than James.