News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Exploring the Spectrum EM-1, 2-8-8-4

Started by jonathan, December 11, 2011, 07:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

OK, lash me, but I couldn't wait for my sounders.  I plugged in the tender on #7627 and gave her a whirl around the layout.  On DC the light comes on right away.  However, the loco will not start to move until around 80% power.  At first, I thought something was wrong.

Here is the tunnel that needed the most work. I have some cleaning up to do, as well as hiding my hack work:

The locomotive runs smoothly, quietly and pulls well so far.  I ran it around the layout a few times then added about 20 cars. The EM-1 pulled 'em like there was nothing behind.

Here's a series of very bad videos.  They do give you an idea of how she runs. It was difficult to hold the camera, run the throttle, and check for loco problems all at the same time.

Video #2 gives the best impression of how well it creeps and the cab overhang on 24"R curves.

Regards,

Jonathan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlm9Mh3ToQ0&context=C35cef3fADOEgsToPDskIPoXQQ2lZXWLY3NWZe6FFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwzbO5nUFh4&context=C35cef3fADOEgsToPDskIPoXQQ2lZXWLY3NWZe6FFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFHHWxxg_R8&feature=context&context=C35cef3fADOEgsToPDskIPoXQQ2lZXWLY3NWZe6FFw

richg

Hi Jonathan

I am sure you know that is the nature of DCC on board when running on DC. Generally, most who try a DCC on board on DC layout are not aware of that issue from what I see here and in other forums.

Rich

jonathan

Yessir, you are absolutely right.  I have never seen it this drastic before.  Usually my DCC locos will be moving along at about 50% throttle.

At the moment, I'm thinking about bypassing the decoder in one of my EM-1s.  IF... I can figure out how to reroute the wires.  Then I will have one loco for my DC layout and one DCC/Sound  loco for the club layout/displays.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Quote from: jonathan on December 18, 2011, 08:53:21 AM
Yessir, you are absolutely right.  I have never seen it this drastic before.  Usually my DCC locos will be moving along at about 50% throttle.

At the moment, I'm thinking about bypassing the decoder in one of my EM-1s.  IF... I can figure out how to reroute the wires.  Then I will have one loco for my DC layout and one DCC/Sound  loco for the club layout/displays.

Regards,

Jonathan

I have seen 50 percent to as much as 80 percent. Possibly someone with a DCC system can improve that capability. I have never tried that. Make sure your power pack does not have pulse power capability is something I have seen in these forums.

Now bypassing the present decoder is going to be a discussion in the future. YOu can bet on that.

Rich

Rich

jonathan

Well...

I'm sure we don't need to post about #7600, my other EM-1.  It will just be a repeat of everything previous to this.

Let me put a 'period' on my contribution by writing about storage.  I intend to run at least one of these beauties at train shows and the club layout.  That means I want to put my locomotive is a safe travel case WITHOUT disconnecting the tender repeatedly.

I built a travel box (back in August) out of an 8 foot 1"X4".  Used glue and screws.  Sanded it, stained it, lacquered it and added some cheap hardware.  I am not a woodworker, as you can see below.  However, it does the job.  All I need is a decent handle.  

I use salvaged (free) bubble wrap to protect my travelling rolling stock.  'nuff said.  Here's the pics:

Regards,

Jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

Great idea Jonathan, I am using box's that microphones were shipped in ,after a bit of padding they worked pretty good...I too hate the thought of constantly having to unplug the delicate plugs on DCC steamers

Rocky Lives

richg

Hi Jonathan

Below is a link to a discussion about cameras for model railroading that might be useful to you.
A tripod will be a necessity.
Check out the tripod first. Mine would squeak when I swivled it and I had to use a squirt of, YES, WD40 to keep the tripod quiet while scanning the layout.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/6543

If you want to have fun, put a flat car in front of the EM-1 with a key chain camera looking at the front of the loco. Make a little longer coupling arrangement between the flat car and front of loco. These cameras do video and audio. There are many different types/resolutions.

http://tinyurl.com/6wov326

Rich

jonathan

GN,

I used tupperware for my brass loco.  Spectrum boxes make good travel storage for freight cars. Whatever works, man.  :)

Rich,

Yep, I've got two tripods.  I use them occasionally.  I also have a really cheap camera.  I'm hoping Santa has got the hint that I need something with which I can set the aperture/shutter speed, etc.

Enjoyed the links.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Camera possibility.

I was looking at Amazon.com a few months ago and someone mentioned a tripod with remote controls for a camcorder. Go look for sony camcorder remote control. That might help some. I don't have the links right now.

The camcorders do still photos also. No idea on quality though.
You might come up with an idea on how to attach a power pack throttle to the tripod. Even if a very simple throttle for doing videos might help

Rich

richg

Quote from: richg on December 21, 2011, 03:23:01 PM
Camera possibility.

I was looking at Amazon.com a few months ago and someone mentioned a tripod with remote controls for a camcorder. Go look for sony camcorder remote control. That might help some. I don't have the links right now.

The camcorders do still photos also. No idea on quality though.
You might come up with an idea on how to attach a power pack throttle to the tripod. Even if a very simple throttle for doing videos might help

Rich

I did read in another forum that some get their EM-1 to start at about 50 percent and then quickly back off on the throttle.

Rich

uncbob

I made a display type section of track  with ground cover
I can  put it on a table top and set a background behind it then set the camera on the table top
Thus negating the use of a tripod

However if you want to photograph on the layout then a tripod will help unless you have an image stabilizer camera that you can hand hold

jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

O.K Just received the sound module for the EM-1 , pleased to see it has both the 7 band equalizer and the reverb,making it I believe a full Tsunami rather that the abeviated unit in earlier Bachmann engines.
Trick will be setting them up.
Has anyone here with a full Tsunami atempted messing with these features yet?  

One thing i noticed is that there are only 3 whistles provided as opposed to the 7 in the TSU-1000 heavy steam decoder.
Rocky Lives

jonathan

Well, it was bound to happen.  Someone finally posted an EM-1 with the sound unit installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kfF3VbQTR8&feature=related

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on December 23, 2011, 05:57:08 PM
O.K Just received the sound module for the EM-1 , pleased to see it has both the 7 band equalizer and the reverb,making it I believe a full Tsunami rather that the abeviated unit in earlier Bachmann engines.
Trick will be setting them up.
Has anyone here with a full Tsunami atempted messing with these features yet?  

One thing i noticed is that there are only 3 whistles provided as opposed to the 7 in the TSU-1000 heavy steam decoder.

The specs are clearly called out in the advertising. We users usually have our own expectations.

This has been posted before and clearly shows what is in the EM-1 sound decoder. Store the link in Favorites where you can find it and take time to read everything.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/bachmann_ho_em-1.pdf

Rich