News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Exploring the Spectrum EM-1, 2-8-8-4

Started by jonathan, December 11, 2011, 07:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Thanks Jonathan.

I see at least four diodes for the bridge on one end. The yellow square device is a filter capacitor to filter out the pulses so the IC's have pure DC operating power. Decoders I have seen before have one of those. Some have two.
That appears to be a DCC on board non sound decoder.
I am suspecting you can move the wires around so you have a DC only loco.
Move the wires and you have a DCC controlled loco.
Plug in the sound module and you have a DCC controlled sound loco but that is all a WAG.

I remember my 44 ton DCC ready. Remove some clips on the PC board and connect the non sound decoder wires to those seven connections.

Rich

jonathan

I'm glad that board makes sense to you, at least, more than it does to me. :)

Started weathering the #7600 tender, but not ready to show that.

While the paint dries I am racking my brain, trying to figure out how to remove the
EM-1 shell.  This is important to me for maintenance and superdetailing.  I'm tinkering with #7627:

To start, I removed the trailing truck and discovered a smallish screw under the cab.  This is the only screw I could find:

Took out the screw and gently manipulated the body in every direction I could.  There is nowhere on the frame to grasp.  I tried prying with jewellers screwdrivers.  I tried gravity... nothing has worked so far.  The diagrams don't show any hidden screws under the domes, like the 2-6-6-2.  It's frustrating.

If the Bach-Man is reading this, can you ask your tech folks about removing the shell, please?

Here's a shot of the front and rear trucks.  Notice how the main gear appears to be offset.  Interesting:

OK.  GN asked about the front coupler.  Here's a shot of the tank that sits below the coupler box.  If I provided enough light, you can see the notch that allows access to the screw.  You can also see I've already replaced the coupler in #7627:

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum

In the diagram, I ultimately did find two screws, #10644, next to the steam dome.  However, it looks like the screws actually sit under the forward sand dome.  Time to flip a coin... oh, please, Mr. B, which dome is it?   :-\ jv

digitalgriffin

Nice work so far.

I know with the Spectrum J-2 (Heavy Mountains) after you removed the screw you had to physically SLIDE the boiler forward before you could lift it up.

jonathan

Thank you, DG.

Changed my last post.  I discovered four screws:  two under each sand dome.  So...

1.  Remove trailing truck.
2.  Remove small screw under the cab.
3.  Lift the two sand domes and remove screws.
4.  Lift swiveling pipe from pilot area:

THEN the shell will lift off:

As usual, there is tons of lubricant everywhere.  I took a touch of alcohol and a soft rag, then began wiping things down a bit, inluding the shell.  At least now I can begin the serious work.

Te begin there was a broken hand rail post (damaged in shipping no doubt).  I positioned the two pieces back together and applied a bit of superglue:

Studying old photos and moving pictures, I have decided that the prototype smokebox front is actually brighter than the model.  I believe this is how the front appeared in the 1955/6 timeframe:

That's a single coat of neolube.  Notice I've removed the markers.  Brass markers with jewels will be attached after the loco has been weathered and is ready to be reassembled.

Next we have to move the hatches on the sand domes. On #7627, the hatches went longitudinally.
Washers, 2-56 size, are just right as a replacement:

I will build up some epoxy for the mound in the middle:

Finally the whistle linkage is added.  I intentionally did not get too detailed, nor did I follow the measurements of the prototype.  Well, you have to be able to put the loco back in the packaging sometime... that's my thinking, anyway. Plus, you still need to access that dome to get off the shell.

I was unable to remove the boiler weight from the shell.  Yes, there is a boiler weight. Cool, huh? So I have to work around that while detailing the front.

The first tender is nearly complete.  Just needs some dirt and the sound module.  I'm going for the weather faded, well used look:

Regards,

Jonathan

JoeSantora

Not many people know,but during the war, Santa Fe needed more motive power.So a few guys snuck into B&O's yards and stole one of their EM-1 engines. When they got it home they realized the tender wasn't big enough so they borrowed one from #5026, a 2-10-4 which was going through an overhaul, and spliced it onto their booty engine.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqxEUwgMaY

richg

nteresting to see where the two inductors and the capacitors are. If anyone wants to remove the caps, it will be an interesting project.
Possibly the new on board decoders will not have the same issue as the old on board decoders.

Someone in another forum is asking how to remove the on board Tsunami from a  Bachmann ON30 as it seems that loco has a motor/light decoder and a SoundTraxx sound "module"
I am seeing a sort of new term, sound module, not sound decoder for Bachmann.

Rich

jonathan

Entertaining video, Joe. 

Making progress:

Apologies for the bad photo.

I capped off the new sand hatches with a part from a Tichy Brake Sprue.  It is the back of a brake cylinder assembly.  Sanded 'em down and glued 'em to the top of the washers.

Weathering is coming along.

Regards,

Jonathan

nkphootie

Hello, new to the B-man forum. I have two of the EM-1 so far. Great engine. Jonathan looks like you do very good work, can't wait to see more.

jonathan

nkp,

Welcome aboard.  This is an exciting time, as Bachmann has provided some great new products for us.

#7627 is approaching completion.  Just need to finish the weathering, add the markers and test drive.
Looking forward to adding sound units to these guys.

Thanks for the kind words.  Most of what I learned is from reading this forum.  Many great modelers here.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

jonathan-

Making sure you didn't miss the Bach's post. Make sure any changes you make to the decoder that you reset it back to default before installing that sound module. I know you know, ;) but I'd hate to see this awesome  loco miss it's debut because I am most certain you WILL do a video of it running around that nice layout you have.

Jerry

J3a-614

Just been watchin,' 'n droolin,' and admirin' the engines and Jonathan's upgrades to his own 7600s--and using washers for new sand hatches is a stroke of genius.

Western fans shouldn't feel entirely left out--a couple of EM-1s really almost did make it to Utah:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31701

Have fun learning about what was, for me at least, a rather obscure railroad. . .and how it almost joined the B&O with EM-1s. . .

jonathan

Jerry, not to worry... My layout is DC.  I haven't even run these locos, yet.  Since, the sound units will be here very soon, I will hold off connecting the tender until the modules are installed.

The video may have to wait a little while.  When I'm done the locos, I still have to widen a couple of tunnel portals, just so these beasties can make it around the loop.

J3a, as usual, you are a wealth of information.  The Utah scenery was breathtaking and quite a surprise.  If you like elevation, that would be great inspiration for a model railroad.  

Wish I could take credit for the washer idea, but I borrowed the idea from someone else who went much farther than I did with detailing.

One down, one to go (sans sound for now).  I don't need to provide a bunch of commentary, except to say photographing a black loco, even when it's weathered, is a challenge.  Notice the jewelled markers, and the now moved sand hatches.  Enoy:

Addendum

This is the first time I opened one of those coal bags, included in all the Spectrum steamers.  It's much "browner" than my other supply of coal. 

richg

This is great stuff Jonathan. I hope people here are downloading the photos as I am sure with time, this thread will be buried. Bachmann has changed the website in the past and it could happen again.

I am actually saving each page to my PC as a HTML so if the site ever goes away, I have everything. That is a trick many users are not aware of for Internet sites.
I belong to a bunch of forums but not seeing anything like this yet.

Will the QSI drop right into the tender with no issues? As I understand this loco, the loco is already under control of the on-board decoder.
Bachmann says that both decoders are suppose to be in sync for proper chuff's.
This is not something I will be buying but I am sure some will want to know.
I realize Bachmann wants to sell its sound modules but some people count all the rivets and want something different.
I know you do not run DCC and probably want to go only with Bachmann. I know I would stick with Bachmann.

Rich

jonathan

Thanks, Rich.  I must say, there is someone on the B&ORR Historical Society Yahoo Group who has taken the superdetailing to the Nth degree.  He hasn't painted it yet.  There's so much brass, I wonder where he got all the parts.

#7627 was detailed and weathered to look like it has been on the road a while.  #7600 is going to look more like it has been shopped recently.  I will put a bit of dullcote all around, after detailing, and that's about it.

As far as Bachmann/QSI and sound are concerned... I have a select few sound locomotives:  Berk (2-8-4), Connie (2-8-0), and now the EM-1 in a few days (I hope).  These locos are for running at trains shows with my club's modular layout.  I like, or am accustomed to, the Tsunami tech in the Bachmanns.  I don't know anything about QSI, except their sound decoder probably won't fit on the 21 plug pin for the Bachmann sound module.  In fact, my guess (I am DCC ignorant) is that the plug in module is merely the sound files needed for the already installed decoder, which probably is sound and motion.

Perhaps there will be some kind of instructions included with the sound module, that will explain just what it is.

I like your "save as .HTML" idea.  I'm gonna start making that a habit whenever I find on line info that is useful.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

One fellow in another forum has this loco and is taking it to a LHS that does DCC and he was told, you cannot drop any other 21 pin souid decoder into the EM--1.
I would think Bachmann would come out and say this. If they have, I probably missed it.

Rich