Can a True Blast diesel sound board be AC powered directly from the track?

Started by WKT, December 13, 2011, 12:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WKT

I have a Crown Edition Williams F7 AA set that has 2 motors in both units, and no horn or bell because the older, larger reversing board that leaves insufficient room to add the True Blast unit.  However, I purchased a matching F7 B unit, and I plan to install the True Blast diesel sound module inside the interior of B unit.  I will need to install a set of central rail rollers for the dummy trucks.  (I've ordered the sound board and the center rail roller kits already.)   The question I have is this:  the True Blast board is set up to get its power from the reversing unit board.  Can it be direct wired from the AC power coming in from the track?  Or does it need something like a wave bridge rectifier (which would convert it to DC)?  I wasn't sure, but my understanding of how the horn and bell works is that a DC pulse is overlaid on the AC from the transformer when the horn switch is pressed.  Thanks for any help or advice you can provide. 

phillyreading

You should be able to power the TB-2 unit straight from the track, at least that is how I have done two of my engines, a Williams B unit and a Lionel A unit. As far as I know, there is no other part needed like a rectifier.

FYI, I have removed the circuit boards on one of my older Williams F-7 A units and replaced it with an 8 amp 50 volt bridge rectifier, I lost direction control but now I don't worry about what position it will start in as it is always the same.

Lee F.

Hi WKT,

The True Blast II requires track A/C voltage 6 volts and above to work. When it is plugged into the reversing board, it is "Piggy-Backing" the track voltage received by the reversing board. It is a direct connection to the outside and center rail.
           Just keep one item in mind...If you connect the recommended center wire connection to the outside rail and the outside rail connection to the center rail...This will cause the horn to blow on the bell command button and the bell to ring on the horn command button.

Hope this helps...671

RRaddict

It can still be mounted in the A units but you have to mount it on the inner roof of the shell.

DominicMazoch

Actually, one could palce it in a buiilding, and run it off a lockon, like some of the older Lionel whistling shacks.