News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cleaning Bachmann "TIN" track

Started by New ChooChoo, December 15, 2011, 07:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

I am starting to get into G scale and am finding that track is a huge expense. For now I am going to go with Bachmann silver tin type track. I purchased some USED track and want to clean it up a bit. Tried Brasso and chrome cleaner and even WD40 but its just like using water. The track doent cleanup worth a darn! Any ideas other than going to brass track? I am using the train indoors in a heated room raised up on a table.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

Does the track just "look" bad, but otherwise conduct electricity and function OK?  If so you may just have to live with the discolorations.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

New ChooChoo

Ya I suppose I could just live with it. The tops of the rails cleanup pretty good. The sides of the rails almost look like you could use some Tarnex or TarnAway and clean them up. They arent rusted,just not the silvery color they once were. OR I could just buy NEW track from now on...LOL!

ThinkerT

Heretical suggestion - take a peek at Lionel Large Scale track.  Still hollow rail, and a bit flimsey - but it is brass, and on EBAY, tends to be substantially cheaper than LGB or Aristocraft track.  (I've aquired quite a pile of this track by accident - buying sets and collections where the track was just 'part of the deal).

lucy 1

Choo Choo,
If you just want to clean the top of the rails I'd use
scotch bright, the green pad you can fined in the grocery
or the big box stores. For the rest of the track I'd just
try to spray paint a section to see if that improves the look.
Just my thoughts, Lucy

on30gn15

With the understanding we may have different tastes and goals, is there any chance the sides of rails are about the same color as rails here?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=377124

Q: Is it more prototypical to paint the sides of your model railroad rails rusty brown or grimy grey?
A: This prototype photo settles the issue.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=179773
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

armorsmith

Allegheny,

I run the Bachmann knuckle couplers on all my rolling stock.  I have converted LGB, Aristo, USA and others to Bachmann knuckles, cna;t beat the price per pair.  I have found that if you make the couple, then hold the cars together and jiggle the pins down, they seem to stay better.  I would like to see the pins made out of brass instead of the plastic to make them drop and lock better.

Bill,  thanks for the tip on painting them.  I will have to give it a  try.  Do you dissassemble them prior to painting?  Does the painting interfere with the lock pin dropping, and how do you remedy it if it does?

Happy railroading !

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob.

I have not had the problem you describe with the pin.  I did have one stick a little after I put a heavy dose of paint on it, but I just forcefully presses it up and down while at the same time wiggling it side to side and then had no problems.

Some Bachmann knuckle coupler did have a metal pin, and I have a few pairs, but I have never tracked down the story behind them and why you can't buy any.

You may want to try the forcing down thing on the pins you have, I have also heard that some guys squirt a little teflon powder in the pin opening. 

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jim Banner

Here is a different approach to keeping the couplers closed.  It allows automatic, hands free coupling - no jiggling required.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/construction/lsbuild/coupler.html

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

New ChooChoo

I bought some USED track on EBay and some of it was REALLY REALLY used and some was not bad at all. It doesn't clean up good at all like I thought it would. BUT I did find something that does a good job if the track not to badly in need of cleaning up. If you want to try this..DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
   I took some Bar Keepers Friend and a scrubby/sponge and cleaned the top of one section of track to see how it would work. Cleaned it up nicely with a bit of rubbing! Followed up with some track cleaner and it looked alot better.
This seemed to work for me. How it works for you is up to you.