News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track questions for Big Hauler box set

Started by cfn10, December 17, 2011, 11:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfn10

Newbie here.  We enjoy Garden Trains and would like to get our family started in this hobby.  Inside first though. 

We are thinking of buying a couple year old Christmas Holiday Express/Trolley set.  After doing our research it looks like it was sold at Sam's in 2006.  Our goal is to have the train RUN.  The set is handsome but we want it to work.

1.  Are these sets as quality as the G sets like the Pennsylvania Flyer?  Why would they be sold around $150 when the other sets retail in the $300-400's?

2.  What are your opinions on steel alloy track?  This track comes with the set---40 feet of it.  Our concern is that Aristo-craft track is reported (by some people online) as being more usable.  Will this steel alloy type of track require very gentle care indoors?  (kid friendly?) Since we are going used would it be better to get the Bachmann garden Thomas (new online) and buy the Aristo-craft track. 

3.  What is the track that experienced individuals end up going with?  Balancing cost and ease of use. 

We have had some inexpensive ($50--60 on sale ) sets under the tree in the past.  I think they were mostly plastic and the track would have linking pieces break off when trying to put together.  Am I going to have the same problems?

Thanks for reading.  I looked through the forums and found references to the train we are thinking about buying and learned a great deal, and that knowledge spurred the above questions.

Joe Satnik

Dear cfn,

The set you are referring to is the 90054 Sam's set.

They are on par, as far as maintenance is concerned, with normal "Big Hauler" sets.  (Cleaning, lubing, etc. )

1). This set has the "Annie" trim on the engine and tender, which is a very nice step up from most regular sets.  All metal wheels are nice, too.

Price?  Supply and demand, I guess. 

Also remember that you have to pay a yearly membership fee for Sam's, which raises your "out of pocket" price a little.   

It might be that regular sets have a more "year 'round" appeal, and are listed closer to MSRP as retail/new. 

To keep the price low in this set, there were no passenger car interior lights or an observation drum head light installed.

(One could say that maintenance is easier, as there are no passenger car batteries, electrical pickups or bulbs to maintain.)

The only other cost saving measure is that the installed couplers are hook and loop, compatible with LGB.  (No regular knuckle couplers included.)

The trolley looks much better without knuckle couplers. 

2.) Track is indoor only.  It will rust if left outside.  If stepped on, it will bend easier than outdoor (solid metal rail) track.   

There is a demand for this indoor track, which can easily be sold on e-bay. 

Put the auction proceeds towards outdoor track.

3.) Various outdoor track metals have different costs and maintenance schedules. 

There are various (stock and aftermarket) rail-to-rail connection methods. 

See Garden Railways magazine back issues for track reviews.

4.) I have had no problems maintaining the indoor track.  I've never had a plastic linking or plastic tie piece break off. 

A gentle vertical squeeze with a regular pliers will tighten up a loose (metallic, conductive) rail-to-rail connector.   

For more pictures (I still have a new, factory-sealed-in-the-box set), push the "home" circular button above,

go to links, miscellaneous links, then "large scale central".  In the forum, click search button (upper right) and search on "90054".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik    joebarbsatnik"at"gmail"dot"com
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Loco Bill Canelos

The set you refer to is 90054 Holiday Special, and was sold exclusively at Sam's Club in 2006.  It was a huge hit and sold out fast.  It contains the Bachmann Anniversary 4-6-0 locomotive with the smooth running version 5 chassis. This is a fine quality locomotive far superior to those in sets made before 2000. (even better than the loco in the Pennsylvanian)  Because it contained the anniversary Locomotive many hobbiests took advantage of the chance to get one at such a low cost.  Sam's got a good price from Bachmann and passed the savings on to the customer.  Back then If you went to a hobby shop to buy just the locomotive, it cost as much as the whole set at Sam's.  Many were purchased for the purpose of repainting and lettering.  I bought two and repainted everything and sold the track and trolley.

Since you will be running outside, you must get better track as the Bachmann steel alloy track was never made for out door use and will rust away very quickly.  Most modelers use either USA TRains or AristoCraft Track, but Bachmann has announced that they are introducing Brass Track for outdoor use, so you should look into that as well.

The Bachmann Steel alloy track from the set id fine for indoor use, and the Thomas Sets made by Bachmann have to date been very troublefree with no real problems reported here. 

Best of luck with your railroading Plans.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!