News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Going all out ...... next Christmas.

Started by GovB, December 20, 2011, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

This Christmas I'm running my under-the-tree large scale layout with Bachmann, LGB and Kalamazoo locos , that's right, Kalamazoo. None of which are DCC. Swapping out locos & cars is becoming a drag. So, I'm considering expanding my indoor Christmas layout next year to include multiple locos (3-4) with DCC using Bachmann indoor track & manual switches (given the high cost of brass) and their DCC system w/5amp booster. I have no experience beyond the Christmas tree so I am a complete layout novice. Several questions have come to mind;

1) Has anyone had experience with this type setup?
2) Which would give me the lowest start-up cost, track power or batteries?
3) What would be the best control system to use?
4) How big of a layout could I expect to have using this idea?
5) Is there a large scale "Layouts for Dummies" manual out there? (No garden societies anywhere near me.)
6) Can Bachmann manual switches be made to work on DCC or other system??
7) Some locos aren't "happy" with Bachmann indoor curved track which would limit the number of locos I could run. Is their an economical alternative to brass track & switches or should I stick with the locos that are "happy" with it?
8) Loco conversion will waite untill this is nailed down.

ANY help with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure that there are other considerations I might have overlooked so let me know.

Merry Christmas & Thanks, GovB
Happy Rails to You, GovB

BillBrakeman

1)  Has anyone had experience with this type setup?

I have never built a Xmas layout but will try to help.
First, could you be more specific about what you want to do.  You mention running 3-4 engines.  Would you run them all at the same time?  What will your layout consist of one loop, two loops or multiple loops?
Bill

Mark Oles

To be completely honest,  I was waiting for a dcc for dummies kind of thing too.  I ended up trying the aristo revolution TE system, which uses a constant power source (batteries or track).  I like it and it is working well for me.  Simple for the 'plug and play' trains I already had.  Some of the older engines, like a Bachmann spectrum 4-4-0 took a little more work, but I got them set up, too. 

If you go on board battery power, your track can be made from whatever you want.  I have no experience with Bachmann switches and the only time I've used their track was in a Percy set. 

If you're really only wanting to have 3 trains able to drive around your tree, why not insulate three sidings and power them up individually as your heart desires?