News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

question on G-scale

Started by Perenoel, December 22, 2011, 10:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perenoel

I am just starting with big scale trains.. the G-scale. I have a room 16X20 and would like to have a train go around near the ceiling.. the shelves will be no problem to install.. but what do I need in regard to a train that can go about 72 feet.. i would need 72 feet of track.. and I like the G-scale trains that look old fashion.. I like the White Christmas Express or the Plainsman.. can these trains run that distance? Can I get both and space them just right so they both can run on the track? I need help to know what to do and get started.. can anyone help me out?? Thank you so much... ~ray  "perenoel"  :-)

Joe Satnik

Dear Perenoel,

If you keep your rail-to-rail connectors clean and tight, and run some 2 conductor 16 gauge wire from the power pack

to the opposite side of the oval for a second power feed, you should have enough power to run satisfactorily.   

Do a Bachmann Board search (button above) on "satnik shelf corner" for tutorials on cutting shelf corners. 

Also, keep safety in mind:

Any train running on any track is a derailment waiting to happen.

Imagine a 5 pound loco falling on someone's head from 8 feet up.

Imagine the damage to the loco hitting the floor.  (A case for padded carpet?)

A strong fence (strung with, perhaps, a small diameter cable or strong mono-filament fishing line to not block the veiw) is in order.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Perenoel,

Re-reading your post, it sounds like you want one train to chase the other on the same loop of track, yet remain spaced properly. 

It is fairly simple to do this with just electrically isolated track sections on 3 rail trains. 

You can accomplish it in 2 rail with isolated track sections and a relay. 

Problem is, "failure modes" have to be accounted for, which require a little more engineering thought and expense to overcome. 

Joe

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Perenoel

thank you so much for your help.. I am still pretty much in the dark.. If I can get just one train running on the 72 foot track.. I will be so happy.. and I will use the wire to keep it up on the shelves I will build.  after I get better at it.. I would maybe try for the second train.. do you have any ideas for the right train to buy? I like the Bachmann White Christmas Express or the Plainsman which are very close in apparence. I wish there was a dealership of G scale trains around here or a local club.. I ive in Fredonia NY.. I see there will be a Train Show in Hamburg NY whcih is only 30 minutes form me.. it will be Feb 18-19.. so I plan to go there.. but I would like to have a train by then.. but I will take my time and do it right.. I just need some help !!  :-) Thank you again for your help.. and any ideas.. I sure welcome them.. any at all!!! ~ray

gunrunner

hey father christmas.
your interest is in bachman "big haulers."
find out what big box stores carry them.
check their local inventory; next week head into the buffalo burbs and get up close and personal with them.
if you really have to have one, get the white christmas or some other non-railroad logo. After christmas sales should get you one for less than half msrp.
set it up under the tree, pull up a chair and watch it go around. i'll bet you don't last 10 minutes. unless you have it on a carpet; then you'll have derailments and uncouplings to give you something to do. do this every hour while you have the tree up. this will give you plenty of time to think about whether or not there is enough play value to warrant the additional expense.
having said that, i admit to having a very unimaginative 10 x 25 foot loop under my patio cover. i have found that after a couple of drinks, those things running around up there in circles make all the sense in the world.
if you decide to pursue this, your next step will be your track plan. put a lot of thought into this, as it will probably make or break your satisfaction with your new project.
you will not have 72 feet of track. that is the linear total of your walls, but...
first you need to come away from the walls a bit to allow clearance for projections such as the extended pilots on wood burning locomotives. next you should consider a broad radius for your curves, maybe six feet. this will minimize one aspect of derailments and allow for longer trains. that will bring you to about 50 feet (guess). also consider a passing siding on one long wall, and a yard on the other. this will allow storage as your collection grows.
you can pull one train out and run it for awhile, then park it and pull out another.
if you wire this as joe said, yes you can run two trains. no, they won't go the same speed. you can take a car off of one train and add a car to the other until you minimize the difference.
getting timed out, have fun.

Loco Bill Canelos

Both set are very nice, and both have the Version 5 chassis which have proven to be very smooth runners and will give you good service if taken care of.

either set is fine so get the one you want
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!