Minimum radius curves for N-scale USRA light 2-10-2, please? (and all steamers)

Started by Searsport, December 27, 2011, 06:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, the product announcement / details do not say what the minimum parameters are to run this loco.  I would be grateful to know the minimum radius recommended for the visible section of the layout, and the actual minimum it will negotiate in the "off stage" areas.  I don't just mean references to Bachmann pre-formed track, but an actual minimum to take account of flexitrack.

It would be helpful if Bachmann listed these criteria as standard in the product descriptions for all of their steamers.

Thanks,
Bill.

rustycoupler

Join the club brother, i been saying that for years, show us what radius the loco will do on the box not find out the hard way.

skipgear

The Bachmann loco's are designed for Bachmann track. I have ran a 2-10-2 around 9 3/4 Kato but it wasn't pleasant. It will run around the curve on it's own but pulling any reasonable length train caused it to want to nose.

11" seems to be the minimum to plan for any more with long wheelbase steam. If you want things to be uber-reliable, then push it to 13-14" Radius. As a rule of thumg, always make the largest radius that will fit.

Big steam deserves a big radius curve. Now the 0-6-0 on the other hand will handle down to 7" comfortably, tighter if you fine tune them.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

n-scale chesapeake & ohio

mine will handle a #4 turnout but runs exellent on a 26 inch curve
models the C&O in 1945-55 happily in Canada :D