News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0

Started by fredlove2laugh, December 28, 2011, 05:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredlove2laugh

I have three questions about this engine.

1. Can the fake knuckle coupler on the front of the engine be switched (if not will there be a version with operating ones or a replacement pilot)?

2. Are these locomotives avaliable in unlettered paint?

3. Is there a smoke unit that can be loaded in (not necicarally a Bachmann unit)?

Fred

skipgear

Quote from: fredlove2laugh on December 28, 2011, 05:32:33 PM
I have three questions about this engine.

1. Can the fake knuckle coupler on the front of the engine be switched (if not will there be a version with operating ones or a replacement pilot)?

Yes. It requires some filing and drilling but a Micro-Trains Z scale coupler fits nicely and looks very good.

Quote2. Are these locomotives avaliable in unlettered paint?

They have previously been available undecorated in the DCC ready versions but the current DCC installed version does not appear to be offered in the paint scheme of the Undecorated railroad.

Quote3. Is there a smoke unit that can be loaded in (not necicarally a Bachmann unit)?

Seuthe makes smoke units that could probably be shoe horned into the loco with some modifications but it is not designed for it. After my experiences with helping a friend install smoke in some HO loco's, I want no smoke coming from my loco's. In HO, the smoke units don't hold enough fluid for more than a couple of minutes worth of smoke, I can't see N scale working for more than 30 seconds. Then after you do all that, you have to clean up the mess. Smoke units vaporize mineral oil to make smoke, It condenses and falls back on your loco, rollingstock, and scenery, making a slimy, oily mess.

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

fredlove2laugh

Thank you. Your answers were very helpful. But now I have two questions:

1. Do you think there will be a DCC-ready version with unlettered paint offered soon?

2. Could bachmann do a special-order locomotive with the operating knuckle coupler?

Fred

fredlove2laugh

Also, any opinions on a sound system would be nice.

Fred

mhampton

Quote from: fredlove2laugh on December 29, 2011, 11:51:57 AM
Thank you. Your answers were very helpful. But now I have two questions:

1. Do you think there will be a DCC-ready version with unlettered paint offered soon?

There's always a chance, but short of a direct answer from Bachmann, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Quote from: fredlove2laugh on December 29, 2011, 11:51:57 AM
2. Could bachmann do a special-order locomotive with the operating knuckle coupler?

Could they?  Of course.  Would they?  Probably not - at least not at a price you could afford.  Since their business model is in relatively large runs of a common product with a profit margin small enough to be competitive but still large enough to make a profit, one-off models just can't be done.

skipgear

Quote from: fredlove2laugh on December 29, 2011, 03:27:15 PM

Fred

Any sound decoder to fit in the 2-8-0 tender is a tight fit. It can be done and I have done sound in even smaller tenders but again, it is by no means a drop in installation.

Quote1. Do you think there will be a DCC-ready version with unlettered paint offered soon?

Simply put, IMHO, NO. The DCC ready versions of the loco are now dead old stock. All new and current versions will be DCC installed. This is not a limiting factor because the DCC loco will run just fine on DC.

Quote2. Could bachmann do a special-order locomotive with the operating knuckle coupler?
Nope, it's not their business model as mentioned above. If you are not comfortable doing it, I suggest finding a local hobby shop or club and hire them to do it for you.
Tony Hines

fredlove2laugh

Quote from: skipgear on December 30, 2011, 12:47:53 AM
Quote from: fredlove2laugh on December 29, 2011, 03:27:15 PM

Fred

Quote1. Do you think there will be a DCC-ready version with unlettered paint offered soon?

Simply put, IMHO, NO. The DCC ready versions of the loco are now dead old stock. All new and current versions will be DCC installed. This is not a limiting factor because the DCC loco will run just fine on DC.

Well I know that DCC will run on DC tracks, but I don't want to pay for a decoder that I'm just going to take out and never use.

Fred

seadowns

Hi Fred!

Why don't you grab an unlettered but painted 2-8-0 DCC-ready but no decoder on board from this source:
http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=5070&back_url=%2Fsearch.php%3Fbymanufacturer%3D176%26checkbox
  • %3D120%26bycategory%3D91%26x%3D41%26y%3D4%26PAGEN_1%3D2&find_section=176

The price is nice and if you are willing to cotton up with a roadname on it you can save 20 more bucks.

Regards
    Mathi

fredlove2laugh

Quote from: seadowns on January 01, 2012, 11:10:00 AM
Hi Fred!

Why don't you grab an unlettered but painted 2-8-0 DCC-ready but no decoder on board from this source:
http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=5070&back_url=%2Fsearch.php%3Fbymanufacturer%3D176%26checkbox
  • %3D120%26bycategory%3D91%26x%3D41%26y%3D4%26PAGEN_1%3D2&find_section=176

The price is nice and if you are willing to cotton up with a roadname on it you can save 20 more bucks.

Regards
    Mathi
Hmmmm. Interesting. I'll definatley look into this.  Will they do something like the AT&SF where the railroad reporting marks are on the cab and the number is on the tender?

Also back on the subject of the Z scale couplers, would they be able to hold a "good" amount of weight while running? Or are they just good for a more realistic decoration?

Fred

seadowns

Are you talking about this one:

http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=5076&back_url=%2Fsearch.php%3Fbymanufacturer%3D176%26checkbox
  • %3D120%26bycategory%3D91%26x%3D44%26y%3D10%26PAGEN_1%3D2&find_section=176

BTW:
    I proudly can say I own a good handful of these 2-8-0 engines from different runs and they are ALL better than a swiss watch!

Regards!

fredlove2laugh

Yes. Just like that. Except I'd need SVRR there. I can't figure out how to order one with the roadname tho.

Fred

skipgear

Quote from: fredlove2laugh on January 01, 2012, 07:41:47 AM
Well I know that DCC will run on DC tracks, but I don't want to pay for a decoder that I'm just going to take out and never use.

Fred

Fred,
The price really didn't change other than to account for inflation when they went to DCC installed. You are not paying more because of the decoder. You are paying less than if they had to make two versions, one with and one without.

Quote from: fredlove2laugh on January 01, 2012, 03:18:19 PM
Yes. Just like that. Except I'd need SVRR there. I can't figure out how to order one with the roadname tho.

Fred

You can't order one with your own private road name. This is why they call it "MODEL railroding". For custom road names and such, you will have to do some "modeling" for yourself. The manufacture is not going to set up a silk screen just to do one loco for you, unless you want to drop a $1000 in their lap for the trouble. Microscale makes plenty of decal sheet options with lettering so you can do it yourself. If you don't want to do any modeling for yourself, then find a local hobbyshop or train club and pay somebody there to custom decorate your loco for you. It could run anywhere from $25-100 depending what they do and how good they are.
Tony Hines

fredlove2laugh

Quote from: skipgear on January 02, 2012, 11:57:24 PM
You can't order one with your own private road name. This is why they call it "MODEL railroding". For custom road names and such, you will have to do some "modeling" for yourself. The manufacture is not going to set up a silk screen just to do one loco for you, unless you want to drop a $1000 in their lap for the trouble. Microscale makes plenty of decal sheet options with lettering so you can do it yourself. If you don't want to do any modeling for yourself, then find a local hobbyshop or train club and pay somebody there to custom decorate your loco for you. It could run anywhere from $25-100 depending what they do and how good they are.

Oh. The way you made the site sound, I thought they would put the printing for you. And i know how to "MODEL" railroad. I've been doing this for a long time, just in a different scale (O scale because my parents bought me an O scale train set when I was 12.) Now that I got my own money I switched to N scale and I need some help around here to see what's good and what's not and where things have gone.

Fred

P.S. The reason I ever asked those three questions was because these are features that most O scale locomotives come with default, so I was just wondering how I could install these features myself.

tweetsieengineer

Fred

Ive got a fleet of 6 of the 2-8-0's. 5 of which were undec's.  All of them came out of the box DCC ready (no decoder installed.)  Since then i have converted the entire fleet to DCC.  I would recommend, if your just getting started and are looking at going DCC go ahead and get one of the newer issue 2-8-0's  even if they do not make a road that your model.   Converting the 2-8-0's that i have is time consuming, very tedious, and requires a steady hand with a soldering iron. Also Its easier to get a DCC engine and run it on a DC power rather than buy a DC engine and try to run it on a DCC pack and fry the motor.   I have plenty of pics on my facebook of my 2-8-0's including those with front couplers installed.

Im also on Nscale.net as southern837
Tim Smith,

fredlove2laugh

Thanks for the tip, but once again, I'm not starting out in this. I'm not stupid and I know how to do this and what's good vs. bad decoder wise. I just needed to know a few specs about the 2-8-0 since I'm not familiar with n-scale yet.

Fred