Do your Annie and Clarabell coaches also derail going into curves?

Started by N.H.&I.railfan, December 29, 2011, 07:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N.H.&I.railfan

???  Annie and Clabel coaches on my nephew's new Thomas the Train set frequently derail as they head into curves. They're running on an oval track. Anyone else experiencing this, or similar problems with your large scale Thomas set?  Would appreciate suggestions on what, if anything, you've done done to stop such derailing. Train is set up on carpeting and encircles the Christmas tree. My 2-1/2 year old nephew is disappointed his present from Santa won't work the way it should. Thanks in advance for any feedback, suggestions, or help.

BillingsRR

Is it possible they are clipping the wall, a nearby couch, or possibly even presents that could knock them off of the tracks?

trainguy73

I would check and see that the coaches aren't hitting anything on the curves like presents or a branch from your tree or something.

Mark Oles

I have a new Thomas set as well.  I have a waterproof apron under the tree, but the track is larger than that apron.  Where it goes off, a slight twist in the track occurs.  The long wheelbase of the annie and clarabel coaches causes them to fall off.  Also, I found the metal clip that the axle rides in is a little too close to the length of the axle, and on a few occasions, the axle popped out. I bent the metal clips toward the wheel set just a little to reduce this problem.

I would check that the track is very level.  Also, the tin track that comes with the set is subject to damage from the errant foot traffic.  Had to fix some track after some late night revelers for new years eve did some damage.