News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mantua Availability?

Started by Jake, July 17, 2007, 04:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim2903

Jake:

Realistically, I think a 16-inch turntable is too long, unless you plan to also run locos longer than the Mantua logger. It's my understanding that most railroads installed the minimum turntable length they needed for their longest locos to minimize cost and space used, which means that often the tables were just long enough to accomodate the overall wheelbase with front and rear couplers hanging off the ends.

On a related note, I have a Diamond Scale 75-foot turntable kit that I no longer need -- I bought it to accomodate a Mantua logger w/ tender back when it was going to be my longest loco. E-mail me if you're interested.

Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

r.cprmier

When did this topic turn into the caveman discussion page? lol

Because, Jake; Model railroading is so easy.. (OK everybody; all together now:  one, two, three...)

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Jake

A CAVEMAN COULD DO IT!!!!!!!

lol. But yeah, knowing me, I'll just stay with the 14" turntable and make a longer seperate shed for engines that go longer than that.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Woody Elmore

A friend who works for Geico loves the lizard and caveman. Business is booming. Looks like a caveman didn't come up with the marketing strategy.

As for posting about other manufacturers, the Bachman has been very tolerant. Simple etiquette would dictate that you inform people that other products may be available by another manufacturer and let them do the rest of the work.

Maybe Athearn will re-release the former MDC old timer series. They would go nicely with the former Mantua cars. A lot of these cars, and the AHM old timers, appear from time to time on Ebay. Just check the prices - they may be called "rare" or "vintage" but they are hardly scarce or worth very much.

r.cprmier

Woody;
Eight or so years ago, I switched from HOn3 to HO, but while I was in Narry gauge" I stumbled upon the "old timer" series by ROundhouse; and lo and behold, two cars came up aces!!  The "GRAMPS" tank car, and the short flat. 
Now, the D&RGW had these flats-6500 series-and I wanted some.  With a little re-sizing work and a new "Evergreen deck", those little flats filled the bill nicely!  Those tanks also fit on a narrow guge frame nicely, with a little alteration; and the"CONOCO" and "GRAMPS" lettering was a shoe-in, as well.  Grandt and TIchy detail parts finished the projects.

I do hope that Horizon does re-release those cars.  If I do another flat, however, I will use wood for the deck, if I can get it thin enough.  I think wood "weathers" better than plastic in this application.

RIch

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

The MDC  HO Old Timer tank car was a nicely done car. It was easily converted to Hon3. I liked their Old Timer caboose - I had several and kit bashed them into all kinds of work train cars.

Best bet is for interested parties to contact Horizon.