Who makes On30/O Standard Gauge three Rail Track?

Started by Tomcat, July 17, 2007, 04:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottychaos

Quote from: toysnstuff on July 20, 2007, 01:54:20 PM
The Question now becomes 'O' std. gauge or 'O' p-48 gauge for the track?

P48 is really cool, but its definitely a lot of work!
its worth it though if you are really into "fine scale" modeling.

Im going to start an On2 layout soon, built around the new Bachmann Forney..(the forney is what got me into On2!)
regauging is a challenge, but worth it IMO, just to get the right look.

I also plan to model a small stretch of standard gauge track.
(The prototype Maine 2-footers interchanged with Standard Gauge railroads in several places..there were several dual-gauge diamond crossings, but no actual "dual gauge track")
so for my short stretch of SG track, im going to hand-lay P48 track and regauge one locomotive and train..probably just one train for a static display, not operating. (unfortunately I dont have room for an operating P48 track on my On2 layout..  :'(  oh-well, cant have it all I suppose..)

so it all depends on what you want to achieve..
the whole "point" of On30 is that its "easier" than On3..and many people can accept that incorrect gauge in exchange for the ease of use..
thats fine...
but if you are really into very accurate scale modeling, On3 and P48 could be very rewarding! it depends on how much work you are willing to do to get what you want!  :)

Scot

terry2foot

Scot,

there was a short length of 2 foot gauge and standard gauge "dual gauge" track next to the coal shed at Bridgton Junction on the B&SR/B&H.

Terry2foot

scottychaos

Quote from: terry2foot on July 21, 2007, 02:36:17 AM
Scot,

there was a short length of 2 foot gauge and standard gauge "dual gauge" track next to the coal shed at Bridgton Junction on the B&SR/B&H.

Terry2foot

there was?!  ;D
thanks Terry, I never knew that!
for some reason, I haven't started getting any books on the B&H yet,
I have nearly all of them on the SR&RL, WW&F and KC, but the B&H isnt that well known to me yet..time to get more books!  ;D

are there photos of this dual-gauge track in any B&SR/B&H books?
and was there a dual-gauge turnout? or just a "gauntlet track" type arrangement?

thanks,
Scot

terry2foot

Scot,

it was simply a length of "overlapping" track approached by both gauges from different ends to give both access to the coal shed. The arrangement did not need dual gauge turnouts.

It is shown in Trevor's schematics of track layouts recently posted on the Maine On2 board files, so you don't need to buy any books

Terry2foot

ebtnut

The comment on P:48 is important in this discussion, since no one seems to have raised the issue--The BIG problem with O dual gauge is that if you use the NMRA O scale standards for flangeways, the track is almost incompatible with narrow gauge--either On3 or On30, both of which essentially use HO wheel and flange standards.  I have this problem on my layout with several dual gauge turnouts.  With care, you can make them work reasonably well, but not totally reliable.  There is just too much slop for the n.g. stock.  Going P:48 would solve the problem, since their standards are very close to the HO wheel and flangeway standards.  The downside, of course, is if you have standard gauge steam, the conversion is a MAJOR rebuild, probably one best left to custom builders.  If you only have short length of s.g. for interchange and don't run a loco, you can use the P:48 standards with whichever gauge you model.  It will look really good.