News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cab details

Started by andrewd, January 07, 2012, 08:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewd

I love all my Bachmann trains, especially the Thomas and Friends but could you please add more cab details to the inside of the  engines.  Thank you

fighter4luv

As I have never seen any of my engine without their chassis, I don't know exactly how much room they have left with the motor and eye mechanism... this might be the whole reason for the cab usually being non-existent.

andrewd

A fire box or regulator might be nice if they could make it somhow look like one. 

fighter4luv

I'm sure if they could, they probably would. Hornby do it with their models, but they don't have to worry about the eye-mechanism stuff.

on30gn15

The question is how much detail did the original physical models used in the TV show have?
I don't remember seeing much detail in the cabs while watching at the grandkids' house.
In adding details to the cabs you'd be inventing stuff that wasn't there in the "real thing"

Just found this about the original models http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/how-thomas-the-tank-engine-works2.htm

QuoteAs related by Michael Edwards in his article "The Making of Thomas the Tank Engine," which appeared in the April 1993 issue of "Model Railroader Magazine," the production studio is the size of an aircraft hangar, and filled with a collection of more than 70 16-by-20-foot sets.

To create the characters of Thomas, Henry, Percy, Gordon, and the gang, model-makers start with Marklin model train chassis and then modify the bodies to represent the various characters. Under a train's body shell lies the mechanism for moving the engine's eyes -- up, down, sideways, or 'round and 'round -- by radio control. In addition, there is a diaphragm pump and smoke unit to blow the specially formulated "smoke."

QuoteModels are constructed entirely from scratch by a team of three full-time model makers and two part-time freelancers, working under the art director. Actual movement of the locomotives along the tracks is by conventional two-rail electrification using standard Marklin equipment.

And this http://www.sodor-island.net/behindthescenes.html
QuoteOn 14th January 2008, I visited Shepperton Studios, along with the Day Out With Thomas Project Manager of HIT Entertainment, to see how the Thomas The Tank Engine & Friends TV Show is made.  For those that don't know Shepperton is part of the Pinewood group which collectively produce all the major films and TV shows in the UK, such as James Bond, Harry Potter, Last Of the Sumer Wine, The Weakest Link etc

Here are a bunch of photos of the original models http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

fighter4luv

I doubt it had heaps of detail, but I can understand what andrewd means. I would be happy with an existence of a cab for some of the engines (such as James etc.) so that a HO scale driver could be put there.

Cheeky_ULP

The engines in the show have always had realistic cab controls. It just wouldn't make much sense financially for Bachmann to implement them. The current cabs on the newer engines already suffice, and to add, all that cab detail would just mean more stuff to do on the assembly line and thus more workers to pay so such a small detail.

Ivo Hugh

Actually, I think that separate sections were used for an inside view of the cab in the TV series. Think of it, there needs to be room in the body shell for the motor and eye mechanism. The cabs on the real models might have been open, but not detailed.
1. Skarloey, 2. Rheneas, 3. Sir Handel, 4. Peter Sam, 5. Rusty, 6. Duncan, 7. Ivo Hugh, 8. Duke, 9. Fred. I am a fan of the Skarloey Railway from The Railway Series.

RW James

Yes, and they had larger scale models for the closeups of details like cab interiors and fireboxes.
Rick

Cheeky_ULP

There's various shots that aren't close ups where you can see the cabs, but I checked "As Good as Gordon" with James and it's similar to Bachmanns. I  recall it being different in Season 1 though.

A bit busy atm so yeah

fighter4luv

In Tenders & Turntables, James seems to have a fair amount of detail in his cab (all painted in black though). You can see it as he slows down after spinning like a topp on the turntable.

andrewd

I mean look inside a standard steam tender engines cab then look in maybe Gordon's or henrys and you will see the standard engines have details and the Thomas tender engines don't

PaulGWR

Models like Edward, Gordon, Henry, etc have a mold that's the shape of a firebox, you could just add extra details like gauges, levers, etc and add a driver and fireman on the footplate of the tender, as for the tank engines and others, you would need to do some extra work