Which train brands work with Bachmann DC and DCC?

Started by ftherrmann, January 09, 2012, 02:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftherrmann

I've been looking around at other N scale engines to use with my Bachmann setup and was curious which would "fit" (assuming that all N scales aren't exactly the same).  I've looked at Kato but haven't seen any type of NMRA branding. 

Assuming that another brand would physically fit the N scale Bachmann rails I could always add the Bachmann or other NMRA decoder.  Another variable would be power.  An AC run engine would be pretty hard to convert.  My guess (and only a guess) is that most DC engines would work at around 16 vdc or so....

Thanks,

Fred

skipgear

N scale is N scale is N scale. If a product is labeled as N scale, it will run on anybodies N scale track within reason. You are not going to run a large 6 axle loco on Tomix 6 1/2" Radius trolley track but for the most part, everything works with everything.

DCC standards are set up by the NMRA. I don't know of any DCC systems that are not compatible with each other. Fortunately MTH hasn't gotten into N scale and screwed things up with their own brand of command control like they have done to O scale and are working toward for their HO products.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

ftherrmann

Tony,

Thanks for the info..  With your input and a good bit of research I took the plunge and bought a Fleischmann N 7440 ICE (used like new) from a dealer in Berlin.  From what I know right now it should run fine on my large radius Bachmann track.  I'm also planning on adding a Bachmann DCC decoder to it which I also understand should work well since the 7440 is a DC run locomotive.  There is also apparently plenty of room for the decoder. 

I just got through adding a dcc decoder to a Bachmann N scale "Empire Builder" steam loc and ended up placing the decoder in the tender.  It turned out pretty good.  Runs fine and after applying a little black acrylic paint to the decoder wires it's hard to see, unless of course your looking for it..

Fred

skipgear

If you are going to add a decoder, please choose something better than the Bachmann decoders. There are cheaper, smaller and better performing options out there. My personal favorite is the Digitrax DZ125 as a best compromise for performance, size and price. I hear good things about Zimo and Lenz mini gold decoders also.

The Bachmann decoder doesn't have many of the features that are available in DCC.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950