EZ Command use with analog 44212 power pack?

Started by ftherrmann, January 09, 2012, 04:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftherrmann

When reading the user manual and marketing literature it sounds like you can simultaneously operate 9 dcc engines and 1 analog engine when the 44212 power pack is connected.  I just spoke with Bachmann and I was told this isn't really correct.  Bachmann tells me that when you plug in the 44212 the setup converts to DC mode and all engines operate at the same speed/direction.

When reading the EZ Command manual it states:  " the connected DC controller will allow you or a friend to control a DC locomotive in conjunction with your EZ Command System".     The word "conjunction" sounds like you can operate 9 DCC engines and one DC engine with the two individual controls   (44212 and EZ Command).

Electrically it seems that superimposing a pulsed DC signal over a constant DC signal would result in pulses that could reach 32 volts (2x16v).  If this is true it can't be good for the engines.

I'm confused....   Anyone out there actually know what the gospel is on this?

Thanks,

Fred

Ken G Price

If you are going to have DCC then run DCC.
Trying to run DC and DCC at the same time is doomed to fail.

The tracks with A DCC system has AC going through it and a decoder converts this to DC for the motor.
A DC only engine will be damaged running on DCC.
A DCC decoder installed engine can run on DC if it has a duel mode decoder in it.

The best advice I can give is to read up on this. Lots of stuff on line.
Do a search on this forum for DCC by user, Jim Banner.
He knows his stuff and has written a whole lot about it.

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

poliss

According to Bachmann's own video you can run 10 digital locos and one analog loco when the 44212 powerpack is plugged into the E-Z Command control centre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAin_nEMHlY
I would not recommend doing this as the motor of an analog loco can burn out very quickly on DCC especially when it is stationary.
If you want to know how an analog loco runs on a digital layout, Google 'DCC Zero Stretching'.

GSXR1000

Hi,

I am confused about this whole plug a DC controller into the DCC EZ Command thing??  I plugged a DC  controller into  the EZ Command and it doesn't seem to do anything, nothing, ZIP???  The instructions don't show how it is supposed to be used?  Or what it is supposed to do?

Ok, I figured out that the EZ Command needs to be unplugged from it's power supply.  Power is to be supplied by the DC controller only, then the DC locomotive is controlled with the DC controller and the DCC locomotives will be controlled with EZ Command.  Hooking it up this way does give you a good on off switch... :)

the Bach-man

Dear All,
An analog pack can be daisy-chained to the EZ Command, providing AC terminals for accessories like switches, and this in turn frees up address 10 for another DCC address, as an analog loco can now be operated from the analog pack. The analog loco should not be parked on live track as it will burn out.
Have fun!
the Bach-man