Union Pacific Big Boy

Started by TrainmanHO, January 14, 2012, 12:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncbob

Bachmann already has a 2-6-2 out

All they would have to do is add sound like they did for the Mogul

NWsteam

QuoteAll they would have to do is add sound like they did for the Mogul

In Bachmann's defense, they did more then "just add sound". Take a photo of there old 2-6-0 next to the new and you'll see it's different.

I would like to see more small+ mid sized steam models as well.

-Brad

uncbob

Quote from: NWsteam on January 21, 2012, 09:59:30 PM
QuoteAll they would have to do is add sound like they did for the Mogul

In Bachmann's defense, they did more then "just add sound". Take a photo of there old 2-6-0 next to the new and you'll see it's different.

I would like to see more small+ mid sized steam models as well.

-Brad
Thanks I thought all they did was add sound
Still wish they had an unlettered version

Pacific Northern

Quote from: uncbob on January 21, 2012, 09:32:20 PM
Bachmann already has a 2-6-2 out

All they would have to do is add sound like they did for the Mogul

Most Class 1 railroads 2-6-2's were fairly large engines in comparison to the 2-6-0's.  They had fairly large drivers and were a bit smaller than a 4-6-2. The smaller versions used by industry and smaller railroads with the smaller drivers were the main users.

I would only be interested in 2-6-2's as used by the Class 1 Railroads and not those used by secondary roads and industry.  

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/northern10/2-6-2/BalboaATSF2-6-2.jpg

I do remember the Tyco/Mantua/Bachmann  versions which were the small driver versions and those released by Roundhouse/MDC which had the larger drivers and were representative of those used by the Class 01 Railroads.
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: florynow on January 22, 2012, 12:29:11 PM
The Santa Fe (and the NP) had some big 2-6-2's.  But you need to look at some other engines before you pronounce the 2-6-2 to be a generically large main line prototype.

Look at the Reader No. 11 on this site:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/fstate.cfm?which=Kentucky

That to my knowledge is a little more representative of what typified the relatively rare 2-6-2 wheel arrangement.

I think that Lionel has produced more 0-27 2-6-2's than ever actually existed on prototype railroads.

/quote]

You are right that most 2-6-2's went to the smaller railroads and logging and mining companies.

However, if you are modeling a Class 1 railroad you will find, if you bother to check, that they had larger versions with significantly larger drivers.

I model a couple class 1 railroads so I will opt to have the larger 2-6-2's on my layout. If I was modeling a small class 2 railroad then I would opt for the smaller driver versions.

Note GN upgraded a number of their 2-6-2's into 4-6-2's.
Pacific Northern

TrainmanHO

All I am really saying is, what IF Bachmann made it?

Pacific Northern

Checking the web, there were 1,500 Prairie engines in total made for the US Railroads, perhaps someone could confirm the number of Yellowstone locomotives were manufactured, gee the number is less than the 2-6-2's.

Bachmann could do two versions as they did their Spectrum 4-6-0's.  A large driver version for the Class 01 railroads and a smaller driver version for the various industrial and class 02 carriers.  
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: florynow on January 22, 2012, 12:29:11 PM
The Santa Fe (and the NP) had some big 2-6-2's.  But you need to look at some other engines before you pronounce the 2-6-2 to be a generically large main line prototype.

Look at the Reader No. 11 on this site:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/fstate.cfm?which=Kentucky

That to my knowledge is a little more representative of what typified the relatively rare 2-6-2 wheel arrangement.

I think that Lionel has produced more 0-27 2-6-2's than ever actually existed on prototype railroads.

PF

for a life lesson, perhaps you should tell us how many 2-8-8-4's or Yelowstones were produced? Is that number significantly less thaqn 1,500?????
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: florynow on January 28, 2012, 05:58:56 PM
I'll let the young people who are good at the internet get those numbers for you.  All I am doing is alluding to a 1951 or so TRAINS magazine (yes I had it before The Hurricane and yes I am that old) photo-article about NP steam engines that said that the 2-6-2 was not a very popular wheel arrangement..... especially compared to the 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 who were its main competition.  Again .... young people .... please post the scores for us.

Editor David P. Morgan is no longer with us to back anything up and that article will be very hard to come by anymore.  Incidentally, the NP Yellowstones were in it too, good looking engines, better looking to my eye than the more famous UP articulateds.  The photos in the article were by NP employee R.V. Nixon and mayb some of them are available on the web, including the NP 2-6-2.

PF
So you just make broad statements and hope some one else will dig out the facts that hopefully might support you, that is if you even remembered it correctly?
Pacific Northern

uncbob

72 Yellowstones were made per Wikipedia
Google 2-8-8-4

uncbob

The biggest 2-6-2 by weight were the AT&SF ones
CB&Q had the most 429
Last Mainline version was built in 1909

Pacific Northern

Quote from: uncbob on January 28, 2012, 10:21:20 PM
The biggest 2-6-2 by weight were the AT&SF ones
CB&Q had the most 429
Last Mainline version was built in 1909

Great Northern had 150 and later converted some into 4-6-2's.
Pacific Northern

RAM

The book I have said 1000 2-6-2 were built for the US market.  The Santa Fe, Great Northern,,and CB&Q had the most.  N.P.  Milw. and Wabash also had them.  SF had 238. One had 44 inch drivers.  Two had 63 inch drivers.  The rest had 69 inch drivers.