Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n scale J

Started by RGW, January 19, 2012, 11:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

I am going to custom paint the N&W J,But I would like to remove
the orange stripe on the side of the engine and tender but not remove the
black. Any ideas I have used commet and a toothpick,however i have never removed bachmann paint.

By the way a great locomtive ;D

Thanks RGW      

James in FL

On the Bachmann cars I've stripped, the paint comes off easy enough with an overnight soak in 91% ISO.
How to remove the stripe and leave the black underneath, I don't know, and I would be interested to hear how others do it.
It may be less of a challenge to just completely strip it and start over seeing that you're going to custom paint it anyway.
How are you using Comet as a stripper?
Dry? Paste? How are the results?
I'm wondering if an old airbrush could be made/modified into a mini soda blaster?

Country Joe

You can try a pink eraser. They are soft and do no damage to the model. I have never tried to remove paint in a two tone scheme but the eraser is very effective in removing lettering. I may work for you. If it doesn't, you don't have much to lose. The erasers are very cheap and will do no damage. Just be careful not to break any small details.

RGW

I make a paste with commet then scrub the lettering with soft stick.
I have only used this on letter now that I think of it.Does leave a mark however.
If I can remove only the lettering this would be fine.I am only painting
stripping on the engine,I am making a Hiawatha J .Milw bought one cheap in
1959 and used it on special events ( at least thats my story). As for being careful
with details,well a streamlined metal shell that should not be a probleam.

skipgear

Strip the whole thing or just paint over the orange. I don't think you will be able to save the finish under the orange so trying to remove it alone will be more work than it is worth.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

RGW

I think I will try just removing the lettering.I plan on covering N&W orange with Milw
orange and adding some milw passenger gray striping down the sides.I need to think
a little longer on the exact colors.I sorta like the SP G4s color design but with Milw
colors and a Hiawatha on the tender  side and Milwaukee road streamliner emblem on the front,However I do not know if it will fit the J's nose.