News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EM-1 2-8-8-4

Started by 66birdman, January 29, 2012, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66birdman

just got one, running on 12 volt DC, MRC powerpack, engine will not move until throttle
is turned over half way an when engine does move at full throttle it is not very fast.
how can speed be increased???

jonathan

Birdman,

You locomotive is running normally.  The EM-1 is DCC with a dual mode decoder.  It is set up to respond this way.  On DC, my EM-1s will start moving at around 75% throttle using an MRC Tech (480?). 

I don't know how to do it, but the PC board in the tender is set up so you can bypass the decoder by moving the wires around.  This would give you the response you are looking for.

However, I would recommend leaving it the way it is.  There are DC power packs that put out 14 volts at full throttle, and you could increase the speed that way. How fast do you want it to go?   I like it moving a bit slower, so I can watch the mechanism while it's moving.  It still pulls quite well, even at slower speeds.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

The electronics require at least 5 volts just to power up. Maybe three or four volts more for the loco to begin to move.
All decoders have a microprocessor IC that requires five volts DC just to come wake up. The software looks for DCC activity. If none, switches to the DC powered mode.
With a DCC controller, the motor pulses will be 12 to 14 volt pulses.
With a DC controller, the motor pulse voltage will be whatever the DC power pack is set at. That might have some effect on what the motor starts tuning at.
With decoders, the wider the pulses, the higher the motor speed.
Different motors will respond differently.
Loco manufactures generally will not tell anyone this.
One thing that can really muddy the waters is, people have unrealistic expectations for DCC locos and try to compare how they should operate with DC locos. I have heard more Rants on this subject than I care to remember.

Rich

blf

I don't know why more DC people don't try the solution to the DCC problem with the Blackbox, or better yet the MRC Tech 6 . The Blackbox (also by MRC) just wires in between the power pack and the track. The Tech 6 has it's own power supply. I started with the Blackbox as a starter years ago, and have no real need to spend money for a DCC unit. The Tech 6 lets me choose between DC and DCC depending which engine type I'm using(over 100 DC types). the Blackbox needs a DPDT center off switch added for convenience, Both do all the programing and the Tech 6 will fit the bill if you only run a few trains at a time. There are two Tech 6's, and you will have to decide which meets your needs. The low amp one lets you run two trains while the 6 amp only runs with one controller. You can consist as many units that the power supply can handle on the same address. The Blackbox is dependent on the pack being used. Don't know how high you can go, but works well on my MRC DC 3.5 amp pack. QSI decoders draw a lot of juice. Bill