learned a few things at hobby lobby

Started by gandy dancer#1, January 04, 2012, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

HI:was in hobby lobby yesterday looking. was in the modelers area if you will, and was showing wife the grnd cover scenery stuff, you know small packages, stiff price. She said follow me?? took me over to floral dept, lo and behold there in bulk packs same stuff at half the price!! Maybe every one else knew that i didn't. Just because it says model supply on pack in different dept,it cost more!! Just thought i would mention that!! every body have a great day!!
M.R.BURNS

Doneldon

gd#1-

You are so right. Most of us are happy to find same or similar materials from non-model railroad suppliers. Michael's has all sorts of useful things at far better prices than Woodland Scenics and other model railroad material manufacturers.
                                                                                                                           -- D

Desertdweller

Oh, yes!

The last time I was in a Hobby Lobby, I found a big bag of treated and dyed lichen dirt cheap!  It sure wasn't in the train department.  In with the flower arrangement stuff.

I bought a bag of 114 Woodland Scenics tree armatures, and made a bunch of trees with it.

The stuff worked just fine.  Only had to pick a few pine needles out of it.

Les

CNE Runner

'Dancer' - Award yourself 300 Attaboy points...I never knew the information you put forth. Well done! Also don't forget Hobby Lobby's 40% off one non-sale item coupon. If your local paper doesn't offer the coupon, it is available on their company website ('seems to come out every other week).

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

gandy dancer#1

Reply to CNE RUNNER: Thank you  for the points 300 more than i started the yr off with ;D I admit the wife educated me, i dont go in there much, they have some stinky stuff in there, but i told her i wasnt paying the outrageous price over in their modeling dept, showed her what it was and she went oh, follow me!! so now you know which end of store i'll be shopping in :o I was raised in the summers on a farm, and my grandpa would say why  pay 150.00 for100 lb bale of alfalfa, when get 300lb wheat hay for 90.00 cow doesnt know difference and we all know where it will end up :P

Any way if it doesnt bother any one when i run across something,like this if i say so, i will continue on!! I jsut know i likeit here on this board, like being in big library with talking books ;)
M.R.BURNS

NarrowMinded

Gandy go ahead and post your idea's though some may have thought of your find, others may not have,

My favorite discovery is using the the self flickering amber LED's from old battery powered tea-lights for all sorts of fire effects, instead of paying $30.00 bucks for a flickering fire unit. 

NM-Jeff

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: gandy dancer#1 on January 05, 2012, 10:05:19 PM
my grandpa would say why  pay 150.00 for100 lb bale of alfalfa, when get 300lb wheat hay for 90.00 cow doesnt know difference and we all know where it will end up :P

:D

That made my morning! Thanks!

gandy dancer#1

Hey narrow minded youjust gave me an idea thanks, wouldnt ever have thought of that!!! see im still teachable in spite of what my grandkids think ;D
M.R.BURNS

Doneldon

gd#1-

And don't forget the LEDs in the free flashlights from Harbor Freight.

-- D

CNE Runner

Hey Don, you just gave me an idea to pass on. I always get one of Harbor Freight's free flashlights when I have made a purchase at the Huntsville (AL) store. [Keep in mind that you must have the coupon for the free flashlight...which requires a purchase. I cut them out wherever offered (Sunday paper, FMCA magazine to name a few sources) as the coupon is not always offered.]

I take a shortened shish ke-bab skewer and glue it to the middle of the flashlight lens. This gives me a lighted, uncoupling tool for those poorly lit places on the layout (like between two 40' boxcars). Skewers are sold in various lengths at numerous stores from Dollar General to Walmart. Oh, my glue of choice is Loctite Stick-n-Seal adhesive - which goes on white and dries clear...great stuff! ['available @ Lowe's]

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

CNE-

That's a great idea!

-- D

Jerrys HO

To add to the led freebies. I frequent bodyshops on many occasions and the overhead lamps in newer vehicles have leds mounted on circuitboards with installed resistors I can usually pick up a few that the housings were cracked and replaced. Some have up to 10 leds available. I also use the free flashlights from Harbor Freight.

Jerry

gandy dancer#1

And here me and the sidekick have been sticking flashlight in mouth slobbering on the train to see the hitches ;D thanks for the skewer trick ;)
M.R.BURNS

captain1313

GD

Finally got over to Hobby Lobby.   THANK YOU ....THANK YOU.....THANK YOU.  They had lichen (called Raindeer Basil) for $5.99 a bag.  Woodland Scenic bag $10.99 for close to the same amount.  On top of that it was 50% off.  So I got $55 worth of lichen for $15.  Plus they had some moss mats, in a large bag, with material in it that would make great dead fall for (again $3). 
Hey GD........better give your wife a couple of those "THANK YOU'S" ;D.  Also those bamboo skewers are great as uncoupling tool.  I bought 3 bags (300) of them for a dollar at one of the clearance stores.  They also make great log fences and retaining walls.
We're having fun now!!!!

Kevin 

M1FredQ

When I was modeling airplanes and ships before re-discovering Trains again we called it
"Gis-mology". You can save tons of money and have a lot of fun !
Thanks for the ideas!!!!!!!!!!

I better get get over to Michaels before there is a run on all that stuff!!!!!!!