Asking for Steaming Sound Advice on Bachmann Soundtraxx Tsunami?..

Started by Searsport, February 06, 2012, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I am looking for some advice.  I have a small 6-ft x 2-ft HO shunting puzzle type layout which is wired for digital (i.e. all tracks are live, and all points live frog), but it has an analogue controller and operates on DC at present.  It is currently inhabited by an Atlas DC RS-1 and RS-3, but only one can be on the layout at one time, as they both move ? there are no isolated sidings. 

I am thinking of fitting a DCC controller and backdating to steam.  The aim would be to run two contrasting engines, e.g. the Spectrum MEC 4-4-0 and 2-8-0, or Ma & Pa 4-4-0 and 4-6-0.   A main purpose of this transition is to introduce sound to mainly shunting operations ? lots of whistles, bells, clanks, hisses, and slow chuffs.  All these engines are available with the Bachmann sound onboard. 

However, I have read in other threads that the Bachmann version is a limited version of the full Tsunami system.  Also, that the Bachmann instructions are based on the spec for the full system and the system as fitted will not do many of the things the instructions suggest it will, and that to get the spec for the system that Soundtraxx have actually supplied to Bachmann you have to search the Soundtraxx website library (and I have not yet found it).

The questions I have are:

What does the full spec system have that the Bachmann implementation lacks (in the context of what I need as described above)?

Would I be better to get the plain DCC versions (which would be cheaper and widens the options to include the Richmond 4-4-0s with wood cabs), and fit the full spec sound ? and is that easy to do?

I saw on the Soundtraxx website that they make a SurroundTraxx system where you put up to six speakers around the layout and not on-board the engines, which only then need DCC on-board  ? Would this be a better choice on such a small layout?  (I have not yet fitted the backscenes, so there is scope).  This would also permit more engines.

What would be the best controller to get the full potential from the Bachmann system?

Is a sensible course to get the Bachmann system to learn on, and then upgrade the locos? Is that fairly easy, or are there limiting factors such as how many pins the plugs have?

I have a small Atlas Y point in the middle of the layout - will the 4-6-0 or 2-8-0 have problems with this?

You will gather that I don?t know a lot about DCC and sound, but some of you do!

Thanks,
Bill.

Searsport

Apologies for question marks in the above text where there should be dashes or apostrophes.  I drafted it in Word and the forum system has changed some of the punctuation to question marks.  I hope you can still understand it.  Lesson learned.

jettrainfan

The limited sound decoder is for the fA-2, FB-2, S4 and 2-6-0. The 4-4-0, 4-6-0 and 2-8-0 with sound have the full decoder sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

rrbob

I just bought the 2-6-0 and it only has the chuff, bell, long and short whistle.
The modern 4-4-0 has the chuff, bell, long and short whistle, brake squiel, couple crash,
water pouring in the tender, reverse sound when direction is changed, dinamo( steam
generator wine), I think that is all.  I love it.   ;D
Bob D.

rrbob

And I forgot, these sounds are with the Bachmann EZ Command.
Watch "The Favorite Spot" on Ebay.  They sell them cheat and also
auction them off.  I recently bought the Bachmann modern 4-4-0
with sound for $130 from them.
Bob D.

Searsport

Thanks to all.  I got the 4-6-0 and the 2-8-0, and am learning all about them.  But now I have a whole new issue with the connection between the locos and tenders, the electric lead seems much too long, so I have asked a fresh question.

Bill.