News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnout problem

Started by SteamGene, July 19, 2007, 12:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I have a problem with one of my Atlas # 6 turnouts.  I've reversed the throw as I have done for quite a few.  However the moving rail to allow the track to diverge is now low enough below the top of the stock rail that cars and some locomotives taking the diverging route derail.  Going straight is no problem, nor is there a problem entering the mainline from the interchange track.  Atlas says they will replace it, but if there is a fix I can do without having to rip up track and replace the turnout, I'd like to do that. 
Any ideas?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

The turnout must be damaged in some way, maybe the point rail is bent. The point rails ride directly on the ties so for them to drop the ties must be damaged, the stock rails are pulled up and loose from the ties or the point rail is bent.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Sheldon, I figured that, but it doesn't look that way.  Seems like I'm going to have to grab a shovel and remove the turnout. 
Atlas did say they would replace it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rogertra

Gene.

Make sure the point for the diverging route is 100% vertical.  Sometimes they get slightly bent to one side, this will put the point's railhead below the head of the stock rail of the straight route.

SteamGene

Roger,
It looks vertical but I understand what you say.  I'll look again.  I guess law of averages says there has to be a faulty turnout from time to time.  Better to find it now than later.   ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Gene,

Accept this from a 'novice' ... but I had several Atlas turnouts that had the exact problem you describe. In my case, it was more poor roadbed and trackwork quality. But they were 'down' permanently and I could not figure out what to do to keep cars from skipping the turnout when thrown.

Then I decided to try something 'off the wall' and for me it worked. I slid a red kadee fibre washer under point to raise it and 'bingo', just like that the problem was solved. The washer does not need to be glued (at least in all the places I've used them I haven't needed to glue them) for it slides or moves a little with the motion of the turnout when thrown, but stays in place.

I think a permanent black marker would make the washers nearly invisible.

Don't know if this is 'good idea' for you, Gene, but it works great for me.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Virginian

Gene,
I had one of these and it turned out the rail was short height wise, but apparently made it through QC because the rivet had held it up.  I was able to shim my rail back up with monofilament line under the rail wrapped around the rivet.
"What could have happened... did."

SteamGene

Thanks Lanny & Virginian.  Both ideas sound good.  Did you have to remove the turnout to do your trick, or was it done in place?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Gene,

I found/find that slipping a red Kadee washer under the rail (holding it with a very fine nose tweezers) is quite easily done with the turnouts in place. All mine were pretty permanently i place when I resorted to this idea  :)

lanny

SteamGene

I shall try today.  I've been connecting drops to buss wires and I have to find something fun to do.  Note to self.  Don't solder under the layout while wearing sandals.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Oh, I don't know about that Gene. Your toenails probably look really nice coated in bright shiny silver  :D

lanny nicolet

SteamGene

Washers help to some extent.  This may be the right track.  No pun intended.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Gene,

seriously, I do hope you get it all corrected to your specs and liking. Nothing more frustrating for the kind of layout you are building to find that the turnouts aren't cooperating!

best wishes on getting this problem behind you.

lanny nicolet

SteamGene

The problem seems solved with a shim of .20 plastic strip under the throwbar and a slight repositioning of the Caboose throw. 
It's always nice to have a second pair of eyes to see the glitch that the builder doesn't.  It's sort of like an editor for a writer.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Gene,

The .20 styrene strip is a great idea! Wish I would have thought of that! That would make a 'fix' much less noticable than the Kadee washer method I use.

thanks!

lanny nicolet